Donate to Mountain Rescue organizations

Non-outdoors topics. News, sports, hobbies, politics, humor.

Donate to Mountain Rescue organizations

Postby Rob » Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:04 am

Ellen Coleman's rescue yesterday by RMRU (with many other organizations participating, as well) reminds us that if we are not among those who live on the beeper, we should support those who are. Consider it trail insurance.

RMRU webmaster makes it easy to donate using PayPal: http://www.rmru.org/donate.htm

If other Mountain Rescue or SAR groups have donation URLs, please post them.
Rob

Postby Perry » Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:13 pm

I can figure out a way to add a link to that url without appearing that MSJOR is part of RMRU (it's not). Thoughts?
Counting the days until October...
Perry
Site Admin

Postby Jim Bakos » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:31 pm

Hey Perry:

I'll just say this up front: We'll take anything we can get. We buy ALL our team gear from donations, we DON'T use tax dollars. We used about 1400 feet of rope to haul the last Marine out of Chino Canyon, we had to remove some 200 foot lengths from service. That's Sterling 7/16" static rope (i.e. expensive!).

We are a 501 (c) non profit. Anything you can do to help would be most appreciated.

Email me off the board if you want to talk options.

--Jim
Jim Bakos

Postby magikwalt » Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:16 am

I don't think a link to the group that is most likely to haul my butt out from the last place I expected to be should be upseting to anyone. But just in case I'm wrong please post so that Perry will have a perspective other than " Get R Done!"
magikwalt

Postby Rob » Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:03 pm

Perry, your addition of a link to RMRU for donations is tastefully done. Thank you for adding that link.

I'm undecided on whether or not it might be appropriate to link to a second or more mountain rescue units. I'm undecided because I don't know where we could draw a line separating units that do/don't operate in the area of interest of this BB (MSJOR). While RMRU would seem to be primary responder to Mt San Jacinto incidents, RMRU has mutual aid compacts with other groups that would support Mt SJ missions.

I guess options are:
1. Status quo: link to RMRU only.
2. Add one or more links, from the index page.
3. Link to donation pages of many mountain rescue groups. This could add annoying clutter to the index page, so move links to bottom of index page, or to a separate page.
4. Ask admins of other boards to add donation links to other boards.

Last week Jim B posted a wonderful link listing all teams in California: http://www.crmra.org/teams.html. That link is a keeper. I don't think it would be practical for MSJOR to advertise all teams in CRMRA. But drawing a line between those in and those out would be tough.
Rob

Return to General Chat