Save our state parks

Non-outdoors topics. News, sports, hobbies, politics, humor.

Get along doggie!

Postby beastie » Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:41 pm

Darn dogs on the trail! Phydeux your bad pooch encounters are unfortunate. I’ve only passed friendly canines on the trail and they are adorable. Nonetheless, they should always be leashed, safety first you pesky owners. Thanks for the heads-up cynthia23!
beastie

Re: Get along doggie!

Postby ferrisjrf » Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:15 pm

beastie wrote:Darn dogs on the trail...they should always be leashed..

I know it's generally contrary to regulations, but I can't remember the last time I came across a leashed dog...at least once you get a couple miles from a trailhead. I won't say one way or another what's right. I just know I don't see many on leash.

Jason
ferrisjrf

Re: Get along doggie!

Postby simonov » Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:27 am

ferrisjrf wrote:
beastie wrote:Darn dogs on the trail...they should always be leashed..

I know it's generally contrary to regulations, but I can't remember the last time I came across a leashed dog...at least once you get a couple miles from a trailhead. I won't say one way or another what's right. I just know I don't see many on leash.

Of course, regulations always call for leashes. But so does common sense, for the dog's protection!

I don't care how well behaved your dog is, when he sees a roadrunner he is off. And if that roadrunner darts into a cactus patch, and your dog follows, there goes the weekend for both of you. I have seen it happen. And of course, worse than that can happen as well.

There are too many distractions in the backcountry for dogs to safely and reliably hike without leashes.

As a dog lover who would like to take my dog everywhere with me, this issue really burns me up. The only reasons dogs are prohibited from so many places is because of the people who let them go off-leash, as well as those who refuse, on grounds I can't begin to understand, to clean up after their dogs. Instead of futilely attempting to enforce the regulations, it is so much easier for agencies to simply ban dogs on the trail. There. Problem solved. Thanks a million, irresponsible dog owners!

And then when I am on a trail where dogs are banned, after having to leave my dog at home and make arrangements for his care, I invariably see people and their dogs, and those dogs are invariably off leash! And if I stuck around to watch, I would bet anything, since there is such a clear correlation between people who disobey the rules and people who couldn't give a toss about the effects of their activities on others, that when those dogs shit the shit remains where the dogs left it.

And after that, besides banning dogs from the trail, the governing agency will simply ban them from the park altogether. Thanks again, asshats!

simonov

Previous

Return to General Chat