Save our state parks

Non-outdoors topics. News, sports, hobbies, politics, humor.

Save our state parks

Postby Ellen » Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:32 pm

Howdy All :D

I recieved the e-mail below from PT Laura (Moosetracks):

Hey, gang. Just a quick note: I got forwarded the following address from a friend of mine. Apparently, part of the budget cuts from the Gubernator includes closing 20% of California's State Parks. Portola Redwoods SP, where my family and I grew up car camping and hiking, swimming in the creek, and terrorizing the raccoons, is on the list.

It takes about 30seconds to fill in the blanks and sign the petition. I hope you'll join me in trying just a little to save these great spots.

http://www.environmentcalifornia.org/ac ... tate-parks

-Laura

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

Postby phydeux » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:16 pm

You'd be better off taking some of the ideas from that 'stock verbage' an putting some extras into a personally penned letter (written on a computer is OK). I used to work for a government agency and if we got 'stock' letters on an issue we'd immediately discount them; they could have been all from the same person, from a small group of persons, or just signed at a special interest gathering one evening.

Try starting with that verbage, rewrite it, and adding something personal - like the closing of Will Rogers State Park near the Governor's PAcific Palisades house, how that 0.1% of the funds in the budget benefits way over 0.1% of the perople of CA, and how those parks help attract tourists and their money to the state.
phydeux

Postby Ellen » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:15 am

Howdy Phydeux :D

Great advice, thanks 8) I actually did personalize it a bit, though a mailed letter would have carried more weight.

I'm assuming from your screen name that you like dogs :wink:

Miles of smiles,
ellen
Ellen

Postby phydeux » Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:57 pm

Ellen wrote:
I'm assuming from your screen name that you like dogs :wink:

Miles of smiles,
ellen

Quite to the contrary. Over the last 10-15 years, as dogs have oddly assumed an almost divine status in society, I've grown very assertive against dog owners who insist their dogs can be off leash, and that I'm supposed to stop what I'm doing and 'acknowledge' the presence of their dog, even if it charges at me. I've been bitten twice while out hiking, and it ain't fun. Now I carry pepper spray to defend myself against off-leash dogs that come charging at me. If its off leash, its coming at me, I figure the owner has lost control, so its my decision to defend myself. I don't hesitate to use the stuff either, and have almost sprayed a couple of dog owners, too.

If your dog is your best friend, keep it leashed. Not only will it protect other hikers (and protect it from me), but it'll protect your dog from attack by wild animals - most domestic dog can't defend themselves against a wild coyote, and wouldn't stand a chance against a mountain lion.

As for the screen name, thats just a play on words using a phonetic spelling to create something different.
phydeux

Postby Perry » Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:33 pm

Rocks are my best friends.
Counting the days until October...
Perry
Site Admin

Postby Ellen » Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:06 pm

Howdy Phydeux,

Yikes -- sorry about your bad experiences with dogs on the trail :oops:

I agree that dogs should be on leashes when outdoors. I also don't like aggressive dogs. I have a sweet Sheltie and five cats. I don't hike with my dog as I don't want her to get injured or attacked.

Howdy Perry,

You do like cats, though, right?

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

Postby HikeUp » Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:41 pm

Rocks rock!
HikeUp

Postby phydeux » Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:06 am

Ellen wrote:Howdy Phydeux,

Yikes -- sorry about your bad experiences with dogs on the trail :oops:

I agree that dogs should be on leashes when outdoors. I also don't like aggressive dogs. I have a sweet Sheltie and five cats. I don't hike with my dog as I don't want her to get injured or attacked.

Howdy Perry,

Miles of smiles,
Ellen

Its not the that dogs have changed, its dog owners. Best way I can sum it up is humans now look at dog behavior as anthropomorphic, rather than the pack animal, turf sensitive behavior they are naturally expressing, probably through relentless marketing by the pet products industry and special interest groups (such as animal rescue groups that promote pet adoptions through sympathetic ad campaigns). I took an Animal Behavior class in college and always thought it would be great if dog owners would search out something like that so they could understand how their dog(s) relate to humans, other dogs & animals, and the world around them.

Never been attacked by a cat . . . at least not yet. :wink: I did have an encounter with a mountain lion last fall (in the Nevada backcountry), but it seemed more curious about me that aggresive or defensive. I'm almost certain it was tracking deer. After about a 10-second staring contest it took off and I never saw any evidence of it again.
phydeux

Postby cynthia23 » Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:36 pm

I agree with you Phydeux, I too have had a couple of near-misses with people's unleashed dogs. I like dogs and own one (Tihauhaus Rock!) but the anthromorphizing and adulation of dogs is weird and nauseating. They are animals, they act like animals, they must be controlled like animals. I especially hate the people who tell you "Oh, He's just a big teddy bear, he never hurts anybody." Get a clue, ya twits, he never hurts YOU cuz you're his owner and alpha. A stranger is fair game.

I have found that hiking sticks somehow provoke dogs, maybe because they think you are four legged, or that it's some kind of weapon. If you see an unleashed dog, it's best to stop and not move the sticks.
Q: How many therapists does it take to screw in a light bulb? A: Only one, but the light bulb has to want to change ...
cynthia23

Postby Perry » Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:56 pm

Ellen wrote:Howdy Perry,

Of course!
Counting the days until October...
Perry
Site Admin

Next

Return to General Chat