Hiker knee health?

Non-outdoors topics. News, sports, hobbies, politics, humor.

Hiker knee health?

Postby drndr » Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:52 am

Would love to hear opinions on what hikers do to prevent sore knees on the downhills.

In my low 40's, started with mild knee tenderness and now can actually hear my knee grind. No problems on the up hills, but unfortunately usually have to come down at some point.

ACE sleeves? Glucosamine? Stop hiking? Any advice from seasoned hikers appreciated.
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time"
drndr

Postby tomcat_rc » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:34 am

hiking poles
tomcat_rc

Postby Hikin_Jim » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:35 am

I've had knee problems for years. I haven't licked them by any means, but here's what I do:
-Use an Ace sleeve/wrap (the kind with the knee cut out)
-Leg lifts with straight leg, 5lbs (that's all I have) :), 40 reps each leg, odd days
-Take Glucosamine Condroitin
-Take Aleve before I start excercising to prevent inflamation
-Avoid steep down hills
-Go slowly on down hills
-Always put foot down with bent knee on down hills
-Use trekking poles
-Pack as lightly as reasonably possible
-Stay in shape (such as it is)
-Keep my weight down (to the degree I can)

Bad knees are a bummer. Some people get very frustrated hiking with me because I'm often actually slower on a down hill than a moderate up hill.
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
Hikin_Jim

Postby HikeUp » Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:34 am

When I started out hiking, my knees were definitely the weak link on the downhill sections. After more and more hiking, as well as taking the stairs DOWN whenever possible, the resulting increase in muscle strength around the knees resulted in a decrease in pain.
HikeUp

Postby drndr » Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:34 am

Dang! Was hoping there was some magic I havent already tried. I feel like I do all of the above, except maybe go a bit slower on the down hills.
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time"
drndr

Postby Hikin_Jim » Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:16 pm

Um, eye of newt, uh, yeah, that's it, eye of newt. Or knee replacement surgery. :wink:
Hikin_Jim

Postby zippetydude » Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:13 pm

If I'm on a fire road or a wide trail, I make my own switchbacks. Yes, that sounds silly, but I actually go back and forth across the road/trail to lengthen the distance and decrease the steepness. I do it both up and down, and it helps me a lot.

Still, downhill can be tough. I think your experience is common, unfortunately, (which is at least in part why the Skyline/tram combination is so popular) and it sounds like you're smart enough to have already tried out most reasonable strategies.

For what it's worth, here's one other slightly unconventional way I compensate. In the winter, to make downhills easier over on San G, I'll glissade down to the bowls, saving a ton of wear and tear on my knees, hips and ankles. (Downhill in the snow is doubly difficult if you're trying to run.) It's also a lot of fun, but don't forget to take off the crampons before you start sliding!

z
zippetydude

Postby magikwalt » Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:45 pm

I find that trail selection can help. Some of my hiking routes are determined by the downhill route. If you are familiar with the picnic tables on the Tram Hike there are 3 routes down. The one to the museum is wicked on the knees but most direct. There are many 20"-32" drops as you descend. Either the Ramon Rd trail or going to the northern end of Lykken would both be great alternatives if you can deal with the car shuttle.

I like the local Murray Peak trail for the same reason. It is steep on the upper sections but is relatively free from long step downs.

Using the hiking poles at max extension really helps as well.
magikwalt

Postby Hikin_Jim » Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:19 pm

If you carefully examine Walt's photograph, you will see yet another way in which to deal with knee pain... :)
Hikin_Jim

Postby AlanK » Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:44 pm

Hikin_Jim wrote:If you carefully examine Walt's photograph, you will see yet another way in which to deal with knee pain... :)

That's right. It hurts a whole lot less if you can only see it out of one eye! :wink:
AlanK

Next

Return to General Chat