Free W Vasque boots

Non-outdoors topics. News, sports, hobbies, politics, humor.

Free W Vasque boots

Postby Ellen » Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:14 pm

Howdy all :D

Would anyone like a pair of size 7.5 wide women's Vasque Wasatch gortex boots? I wore them once -- up to San Bernardino peak and back from Angeles Oaks. They don't agree with my feet.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
AKA Dead Blond Hiking
Ellen

Postby Hikin_Jim » Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:49 am

Are these the ones with the blood spatters? :)

Seriously, though, can you not return them? I know REI and Sport Chalet will usually swap them out if you've only worn them once, although I don't know that all retailers will.
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
Hikin_Jim

Postby zippetydude » Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:09 pm

Is there little piece of paper with a bread recipe hidden in one of them?

z
zippetydude

Postby Ellen » Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:52 pm

Howdy Jim :D

"Are these the ones with the blood spatters?" = hilarious! Best laugh I had yesterday :lol: Nope, no blood spatters. In fact, I'm not bleeding anywhere right now. Maybe I can change this in the Grand Canyon next week...

I ordered the boots from www.Onlineshoes.com. I'll have to check their return policy.

Howdy Z :D

"Is there little piece of paper with a bread recipe hidden in one of them?" = best laugh today and :oops: Will PM you the recipe before I log off. My only excuse is that I'm in the last few meters of a massive book revision.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Brain-dead blond hiking :roll:
Ellen

Postby AlanK » Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:32 pm

Ellen wrote:My only excuse is that I'm in the last few meters of a massive book revision.

Please God, make her tell me that she is not writing a book that is meters thick! :shock: (It would be massive, though!)
AlanK

Postby Ellen » Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:58 pm

Howdy Alan :D

I always enjoy your posts :lol: The "meters" reference was in honor of those running the Long Beach marathon this Sunday.

Although not a meter thick, the amount of writing sure made it FEEL that big :?

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

Postby AlanK » Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:53 pm

That's good. It's a book of poetry, then? (Sorry, I can't let go of "meters.") :D

Good luck finishing the book and good luck to the marathoners on the board. :D This month marks the 30th anniversary of my last one of those. :cry:
AlanK

Postby Ellen » Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:00 pm

So, you're not only a scientist but a liberal arts man as well :wink: This forum certainly seems to have an abundance of Renaissance folks.

Almost done with the book -- just updating the appendices.

Long Beach Marathon is close to my heart as well. That's where I ran my PR in 1988 and qualified for Boston. This year marks my 18th year since my last marathon.

Based on how fast you hike, I'd say that your fitness level hasn't been adversely affected by discontinuing marathons :lol:

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

Postby AlanK » Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:37 pm

Ellen wrote:Based on how fast you hike, I'd say that your fitness level hasn't been adversely affected by discontinuing marathons :lol:

My fitness level has probably been helped by not running marathons because I am not injured as often as I would be if I did! :D

I am definitely not anti-marathon. I prize my 1969 Palos Verdes Marathon T-Shirt! :) My issues have more to do with injuries incurred as a middle-distance runner than they do with marathons. I attribute some of the problem to the crappy shoes we had back in the day.

I am pleased that I managed to talk my son out of running any marathons so far. It was a real temptation in junior high becuase a whole group from his school did the LA Marathon. He is now older than I was when I did my first two. (And I was a middle distance runner!) I would be very surprised if he did not run marathons in a due time... before he takes up ultras. For now, he can do sprints like the 5K.
AlanK

Postby Ellen » Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:45 pm

Wow, what a coincidence -- Palos Verdes was my first marathon 30 years ago :shock:

I certainly appreciate the potential increase in injuries from marathon training. As much as I loved running, my body wasn't really suited for marathons :cry:

Did you run 1500 and 3000 meters or 800 and 1500? I absolutely loved running 3K on the track, though I never competed at that distance. My best distances were 15 K to half marathon.

I'm glad you were able to delay your son's entry into marthoning. I feel that distance running takes psychological maturity as well as physical maturity. I've seen lots of young runners (junior high and high school) get completely burned out on running due to the pressures of competing. Of course, I think has a lot to do with the quality of coaching as well as parental expectations ("little league" parents).

OK, time to get off my soapbox now :lol:

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

Next

Return to General Chat