Recommendation on Trekking poles

Non-outdoors topics. News, sports, hobbies, politics, humor.

hiking poles

Postby Rob » Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:17 am

I'm new to hiking and have been using $20 WalMart hiking poles for 4 months. After 1 month the web circle(?) at the bottom of one pole unscrewed itself and vanished, so I removed the other one. Are those webs for sand and snow? Are expensive poles really better? At this point I'm happy with the WalMart product and don't see any need to upgrade.
Rob

Postby Hikin_Jim » Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:05 pm

The "web" is for sand and snow. I don't usually carry mine.

As for how good the Wal-Mart specials are, I always say: if it works don't fix it. :D
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
Hikin_Jim

Postby KathyW » Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:06 pm

I take those little baskets off my poles and use them without baskets when I'm not out in the snow because they don't get caught on things as much without them. When I use the poles in the snow, I put on the bigger snow baskets.
KathyW

Postby physicslord » Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:31 am

I had a pair of titanium Leki poles that wore out after one season.

That was really disappointing.

I then purchased a pair of REI brand ones which have lasted me two seasons now.

I'm only 26 but I use trekking poles for all major hikes. I just feel less fatigued at the end of the day when I use them.
physicslord

Postby Hikin_Jim » Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:51 pm

My REI poles have stood up to about 10 years of (ab)use. I did break off the metal tip last year in Icehouse Canyon, but I was able to get a replacement. Still using the poles...
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
Hikin_Jim

Postby nihkon » Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:05 am

I picked up a set on Ebay for about $30 shipped. The brand name on them is "Hammers." I've been using them for about 6 months now and I have no complaints. They are pretty sturdy and they have never collapsed on me. The handle is rubberized and can get a bit uncomfortable when you start to get sweaty.

I also have a Canon monopod for my camera. I've taken that on a couple hikes and it's actually way more sturdy than the trekking poles!

Both the trekking poles and the monopod are pretty light.
nihkon

Postby OntarioWeatherService » Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:38 am

You can get so much cool stuff off Ebay and Craigslist if you know the right deals
www.ontarioweatherservice.com

Admin note: This is a private weather forecasting service and is not associated with National Weather Service or Ontario International Airport.
OntarioWeatherService

Previous

Return to General Chat