Flu Shot?

Non-outdoors topics. News, sports, hobbies, politics, humor.

Flu Shot?

Postby Perry » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:48 pm

With my wife being pregnant, we've thought about this issue but have been on the fence because there are lots of opinions out there. Just looking at the numbers, it doesn't seem to add up:

CDC claims 62% effectiveness.

However, the vaccine is developed 6 to 9 months before the flu season (giving the viruses time to mutate) and only 3 strains out of hundreds are selected to be in the vaccine.

So how do these two sets of numbers agree? Maybe somebody here has a good explanation... My guess is that immunity is somewhat effective on a slightly mutated strain?
Counting the days until October...
Perry
Site Admin

Postby zippetydude » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:34 pm

Hi Perry. Not much science in this reply, but anecdotal evidence is sometimes worth consideration. As the baby is still in utero, I believe it will be quite safe from any effects of the flu shot. In the injected form, the viruses are actually dead, and the body simply mounts an immune response based upon the protein formations on the surface of the viruses. Even slight mutations will still have largely recognizable formations that the body will then quickly and efficiently recognize and destroy. I'd be a little more cautious about the nasal form, which contains attenuated virus that are still alive. You don't want to risk an accidental case of the flu. It's fairly rare, but it does happen.

As far as efficacy, the way I look at it is this. About 10 years ago, I was sitting on the couch reading a book when my wife Ivette came in the room. She said something to me, and her voice sounded like Darth Vader. I told her so, and she came over and felt my forehead. She said I definitely had a fever, so we took my temperature. It was 104.7. After a luke warm shower and ibuprofen I eventually got it down to 102, but it went up and down over the next 5 days into the 103 range.

Now, that was the effect on a healthy adult who was (obviously) not pregnant. I don't know what that kind of sudden spike in fever might have done to an unborn child, but it sounds scary. If the risk is close to zero one way and scary the other way, I'd just take the safe route. This is supposed to be a particularly virulent strain this year, or at least that's what they're saying in the news.

Anyway, I don't sell flu shots, so I hope that doesn't sound like a commercial for RiteAid, but I thought I'd respond. BTW, other immunizations for the baby after he/she is born are much more suspect, and I don't blame you if you are very cautious about those.

Take care of yourself, the wifey, and the critter on the way! I hope to see some pics posted soon of the happy family with 3 smiling faces!

z
zippetydude

Postby Hikin_Jim » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:07 pm

zippetydude wrote:I hope to see some pics posted soon of the happy family with 3 smiling faces!
Here, here.

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
Hikin_Jim

Postby Perry » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:06 am

Hikin_Jim wrote:
zippetydude wrote:I hope to see some pics posted soon of the happy family with 3 smiling faces!
Here, here.
HJ

Right here:
Could you imagine being a baby and somebody giving you a bath with a smiling bumblebee wash mitten?

And here's the bump at Christmas:
Crystal's belly is still growing!

We decided to go for the flu shot. Thanks Zip. An online article said the same thing about immunity for small variations.
Perry
Site Admin

Postby tinaballina » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:33 pm

Good call on the flu shot, I am a believer in them (knocking on wood as i type this).
:)
tinaballina

Postby Ellen » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:44 pm

Tina Who???

Just kidding, glad to see you posting pain sista 8)
Ellen

Postby zippetydude » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:21 am

Ellen wrote:Tina Who???

Yeah, huh? Long time no see!

Perry: I know you've posted before but I've forgotten. Is Crystal due in March? That baby is looking pretty big already! BTW, I assume she's fine after her flu shot.

z
zippetydude

Postby Perry » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:19 pm

zippetydude wrote:Perry: I know you've posted before but I've forgotten. Is Crystal due in March?
z

Feb. 13. It could happen any day now...
Perry
Site Admin

Postby guest » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:07 pm

Hi Perry,
You & Crystal may have already got shots, but here's many articles on potential dangers of vaccinations, who's behind a lot of this, and what misinformation had been put out.

http://search.mercola.com/search/pages/ ... aspx?k=flu

I'm sure many disagree, but there's lots of evidence on both sides, but I now which side I stand, after much research.

ss

Postby Perry » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:10 pm

She got one without thimerosol. Hard to say whether it matters or not. There is other crap put into these vaccines, but we decided to weigh the risks and benefits and go for it. No adverse reactions.
Perry
Site Admin

Next

Return to General Chat