What's your latest hiking footwear?

Non-outdoors topics. News, sports, hobbies, politics, humor.

What's your latest hiking footwear?

Postby halhiker » Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:56 pm

Over the years I have undergone a major evolution in my hiking footwear. When I started hiking I wore Converse All-Stars. I soon migrated to proper hiking boots with a pair of Pivetta P5s. I've used over the years various boots from various manufacturers though for the past 15 years or so I've done most of my day hiking in running shoes. I've put a lot of miles on several pairs of New Balance 991s and 992s and recently have found I love the new Merrell trail running shoe called the Fanatic. I wore them right out of the box on a ten mile hike with nary a hot spot and felt the support was superior to the New Balances, for the trail at least. I always wear lightweight Smartwool socks and don't ever have a blister problem with them.

Would like to hear from forum members what works for them and also what doesn't.

Hal
halhiker

Postby phydeux » Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:47 pm

Current trail hiking shoes are HiTec Sierra Lites I bought for $35. They're a mid-height shoe/boot. They were cheap, and I think I'll get my money's worth out of them. I like mid-height boots since they give a little more foot support that low hikers, and running shoes are just too sloppy for rocky trails. I'll probably look around for some better quality lite hikers this fall (on sale, of course!)

In the winter on San J & San G I use Hi-Tec Altitude V's. Once again, not high quality, and not suited for heavy mountaineering, but great for a few days of winter scrambling here in So Cal. And they work with snowshoes and strap crampons, too.
phydeux

Postby Perry » Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:10 am

Usually Adidas or Nike trail running shoes because I have narrow feet and run. Under the insoles I put my homemade polyurethane insoles. When you order the material from McMaster Carr it's really cheap. It's the 1/8" extra-firm Poron. Podiatrists charge a lot more money, and their material is usually softer, so it bottoms out if you land hard on a rock (like shocks bottoming out on your car and scraping the frame).
Perry
Site Admin

Postby KathyW » Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:18 am

For day hikes without snow I'm on my third pair of La Sportiva Exum Ridge shoes (trail running back and approach shoe front). For day hikes with snow and backpacking trips I've been wearing my La Sportiva Trango S Evo's. and the list goes on - I also have insulated leather boots and I had to get plastics this year.

I'm thinking about buying a pair of shoes that are specific to trail running because I'd like to try to do a little more of that as the weather cools down, but I don't know what to get yet.

I finally invested in insoles for my boots/shoes. I bought the heat moldable ones for the mountaineering boots and pink women's superfeet ones for the lightweight shoes. I really notice a difference.
KathyW

Postby MikeCaAlaska » Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:40 pm

Hal, I have used Asaics trail running shoes for most of my hiking and trail running in Alaska for the last few years on Crow Pass and the Girdwood area trails, and now for most of my hiking / running off the tram and other Palm Springs area trails or in in the monument and where ever I get a chance to run. They have done me good, since my ankles are not that great but they give me fantastic stability over rocks and roots.

Generally use good quality insoles since when using my orthotics, they do not seem great for running.

Mike
Mike
MikeCaAlaska

Postby AlanK » Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:09 pm

Where is Barefoot Ted?
AlanK

Postby zippetydude » Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:49 am

I need wide shoes, so I go with New Balance 806 EE most of the time.

My favorites, though, are Montrail Hardrock Wide. They feel great right out of the box and have intelligent features that trail runners appreciate - the soles have excellent grip, and the toe is hardened so that when I kick rocks it doesn't hurt.

That's expecially important, cause it's sorta like when you bite your tongue - you know, how you suddenly chomp really hard? Well, I'm not running all that fast until right before my toe hits the rock, then suddenly my foot accelerates up to 60 mph and slams into the rock.

Ooooooh that hurts! The Hardrocks save me the pain and frustration.

For those shoes people have recommended above, I'd love to try any of them out that come in wide versions. Do any of you know if your favorites are available in EE or Extra Wide?

z
zippetydude

Postby JayO » Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:51 pm

Zippetydude -

Montrails have been my favorite trail running shoe as well. My bunion bones require me to need a wide shoe and I have been running in the Vitesse model for years. As a matter of fact, my Vitesses recently made it to the top of Mt. Whitney in July - they were very comfortable on the rocky trails.

I recently got a pair of Hardrock Wides - they have more heel support and are built on a more curved last - the Vitesses are a bit straighter and a bit lighter. Both have good wide toe boxes and good rock kicking ability. I will continue to evaluate them both - the Hardrocks will probably see C2C in September or October.
JayO

Postby Hikin_Jim » Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:38 am

I'm doing the hiking boot* thing these days; seems to work well for my feet. I'm a narrow which is a bit of a curse. My subjective experience is that narrows are harder to find than wides. I picked up some Lowa Trekkers. A little heavy (all leather), but pretty comfortable and they fit my skinny freakin' feet. I went with Lowa precisely because they are one of the few boot manufacturers I could find that puts out narrow widths.

*this despite Z-dude's excellent advice on how running shoes can garner bragging rights, see http://www.palm-springs-photography.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=337&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=bragging%20rights&start=6
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
Hikin_Jim

Postby whitneyfan » Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:23 am

I've had good luck with Hi-tek . My first pair lasted me 7 years on numerous long dayhikes. I bought a new pair this year... FastHike lows.
I haven't needed to break them in, and took them up Vivian Creek right away with no discomfort.

I wouldn't hike in sneakers any farther than a couple miles. I tried once. I was too lazy to put on my hiking shoes and hiked around and to the top of Lembert Dome in Yosemite in sneakers. I regretted it. Blisters on both feet and sore arches.
whitneyfan

Next

Return to General Chat