What's your latest hiking footwear?

Non-outdoors topics. News, sports, hobbies, politics, humor.

Postby KathyW » Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:06 pm

I went to the Running Store in Redlands and had them help me pick out some running shoes. I went home with two pairs of shoes - one pair for my little runs around the neighborhood and another pair to use hiking and attempting to run on trails. The pair for on the road/sidewalk are Brooks Adrenaline GTS 7's and the pair for the trails is a related model called the Adrenaline ASR 4's. This weekend Ellen and I did our Rim to Rim to Rim Grand Canyon hike and I wore the Adrenaline ASR 4's - they were so comfortable for those 45 miles. I am so glad I went to the Running Store and had them help me pick out shoes.

I'll keep wearing my La Sportiva Exum Ridge Shoes for my off-trail adventures because the have the grip I need for scrambling around, but when on the trail those Adrenalines will be on my feet.
KathyW

Postby zippetydude » Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:05 pm

Hey, congrats on those 45 R2R2R miles! I knew Ellen was going, but I hadn't realized that you were going as well. I hope it was a great adventure. I trust you'll post some pictures when you get a chance.

In the meantime, congratulations to you both! Awesome accomplishment!

z
zippetydude

Postby Hikin_Jim » Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:23 pm

Ditto on the congrats and would definitely like to see pics. AZ in general and the GC in particular is a great place.
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
Hikin_Jim

Postby FIGHT ON » Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:01 am

Perry wrote:Usually Adidas or Nike trail running shoes because I have narrow feet and run. Under the insoles I put my homemade polyurethane insoles. When you order the material from McMaster Carr it's really cheap. It's the 1/8" extra-firm Poron. Podiatrists charge a lot more money, and their material is usually softer, so it bottoms out if you land hard on a rock (like shocks bottoming out on your car and scraping the frame).

Do you still use this stuff under your insoles or have you since switched to a store bought insole? Have you ever used Superfeet? I tried orange ones last week which were recommended by the New Balance saleslady and they cut the sides of my heels off. I'm not talkin blisters. Like walking in upside down cookie cutters. Any advice on insoles would be appreciated. :)
FIGHT ON

Postby Hikin_Jim » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:46 am

Superfeet are OK, but I've used the green ones not the orange. I've had a lot of foot problems, so I finally got custom ones which work really well.
Hikin_Jim

Postby AlanK » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:27 am

Hikin_Jim wrote:Superfeet are OK, but I've used the green ones not the orange. I've had a lot of foot problems, so I finally got custom ones which work really well.

I have used various superfeet (including orange and green) without problems (actually, they helped to reduce or eliminate problems). However, I can easily imagine someone having trouble with a particular fit. I have had trouble with other, similar products in the past.

Hey, FIGHT ON -- maybe Superfeet are made by a UCLA guy. You may need FootTrojans (product may not exist, but maybe it should). :)
AlanK

Postby FIGHT ON » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:54 am

AlanK wrote: Hey, FIGHT ON -- maybe Superfeet are made by a UCLA guy. You may need FootTrojans (product may not exist, but maybe it should). :)

Never thought of that. :? If you peal back the rubber part on the heel part it's like who makes these things. :shock: Seriously, the edges are very sharp! They should round the edges a little at least instead of sharpening them. The rubber kinda cushions it a little but that sharp edge is still there, cutting, slicing, like a cheese grater. :twisted: Maybe the hot asphalt had something to do with it.
So without taking them off after my hike I drove back to the store.
When I entered the same sales lady greeted me and said, "So, how did they work out?"
I smiled and said nothing as I took them off in front of her and her boss. Very ugly. Guess I will be wearing my Montrail Torre Gortex unventilated heat absorbing sweat house steam room concrete shoes until I grow back skin. yuk
FIGHT ON

Postby Hikin_Jim » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:57 am

AlanK wrote: You may need FootTrojans (product may not exist, but maybe it should). :)

FootTrojans? Would those prevent your foot from getting intimate with your footware? :lol:
Hikin_Jim

Postby AlanK » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:18 pm

I just wanted to offer an alternative to our USC friend, in case he is being victimized from across town. Come to think of it, I have never heard of anyone from USC having good luck with Superfeet.
AlanK

Postby Hikin_Jim » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:36 pm

AlanK wrote:I have never heard of anyone from USC having good luck with Superfeet.

"Never heard of" sounds like hard science to me. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hmm, you know those FootTrojans might be really good at preventing disease ...

http://www.bookofjoe.com/2005/07/foot_condoms.html
Hikin_Jim

Previous

Return to General Chat