Salton Sea

Non-outdoors topics. News, sports, hobbies, politics, humor.

Postby halhiker » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:24 pm

The Salton Sea should be allowed to die its natural death. Any comparison between it and the Owens Lake is just a scare tactic put out there to by people who hope to profit from what will be a huge boondoggle if any government money is spent to "Save" the Salton Sea.

If there were going to be huge dust clouds like those in the Owens Dry Lake they would already be happening because the ancient Lake Cahuilla which preceded the Salton Sea was 26 times larger than the Sea and no such dust clouds happened when it dried up. Phoenix suffers such dust storms but not the Coachella Valley. Also, the salinity of the Sea will create a crust similar to what existed before the accident that created the Sea took place. It was a salt flat that was mined for salt and no record of giant dust storms were ever reported. I've never heard of such event at the Great Salt Lake Salt Flats or the Dead Sea, have you?

And, I'm not worried about the birds because they can fly after all and will find somewhere else to nest. After all, the did it before the Sea came into being.

The whole Save the Sea movement started with some of Sonny Bono's key contributors who saw it as a huge avenue to make billions of dollars in government contracts Saving the Sea. Now, they've continued their efforts with Mary Bono Mack at the forefront of the this potential multi-billion dollar ripoff of taxpayers.

The Salton Sea doesn't need to be saved. It needs to die.
halhiker

Postby Sally » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:42 pm

Larry and I drove down to Brawley to celebrate our grandson Quin's birthday last month. After dinner we took a walk at the Sonny Bono Salton Sea National Wildlife Refuge. The timing was perfect for a gorgeous sunset which changed by the moment. We saw a great variety of birds. All the while I was pondering the dilema posted by KathyW: should we try to save the Salton Sea, or let it die? Hmmm.... What do YOU think?

A picture is worth a thousand words.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1009477359 ... directlink

Link to information about the Wildlife Refuge: http://www.fws.gov/saltonsea/
Sally

Postby Hikin_Jim » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:02 am

Sally wrote: What do YOU think?
Well, I think Quinn is really cute. :)

The Salton Sea looks pretty interesting. Maybe I'd better visit (soon!). I've never seen it before (well, except from the tram, but that hardly counts).

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
Hikin_Jim

Postby Sally » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:55 pm

Thank you, Hikin Jim, but the kid in THIS picture is actually Caeleb, Quin's big brother. (Quin was hangin' out by the water when this pic was taken.) Quin is the redhead seen opening his presents and proudly donning his new Cub Scout cap towards the end of the slideshow.

I think that the funds it would take to save the Salton Sea are needed much more in other areas at this time, but I'm grateful that I've had the opportunity to visit it and view it from afar as many times as I have.

Only time will tell what the ramifications of the drying up of this body of water will be.
Sally

Postby HH8 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:45 pm

Sally wrote:Only time will tell what the ramifications of the drying up of this body of water will be.

Saw it yesterday from the Calcite mine:
SaltonSea_3491
HH8

Previous

Return to General Chat