Rock-climbing outdoorsman faces new challenges

Non-outdoors topics. News, sports, hobbies, politics, humor.

Rock-climbing outdoorsman faces new challenges

Postby arocknoid » Thu May 31, 2012 11:20 pm

I promised to forward this story/link.
The son of a dear friend is good friends with Taylor Morris, a colleague in service. Many of you would probably recognize a kindred spirit in Taylor, and his love for the outdoors.

On May 3rd, his life abruptly took an altogether different path; now, he is only the fifth person treated at Walter Reed to survive a four-limb amputation. His overwhelming concern for others is matched by his astounding calmness under stress, courage, and will. Amazing young man...

(Crikey, at eight years old he showed more responsibility and maturity while camping than many adults we know:

" Taylor Morris learned at an early age he was hooked on the outdoors, adventurous, the middle of 4 children and always the last one inside for dinner at his home in Cedar Falls, Iowa. His mother Juli recalled, "Our family took a camping trip from Niagra Falls down the East Coast one summer. Taylor set up the tents every night, started the fires, cooked the meals. Taylor was only 8 years old." As Taylor grew older and took to extreme water sports and rock climbing, Taylor discovered he was also very calm under extreme pressure. This quality would later make him the perfect candidate for the Navy's EOD, Explosive Ordinance Disposal."

The Chive picked up his story (I'd not heard of the Chive--though am familiar with The Onion):

http://thechive.com/2012/05/31/chivers- ... 22-photos/

Taylor Morris website:

http://taylormorris.org/

Thanks for your time,
arocknoid
arocknoid

Postby Hikin_Jim » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:48 pm

I don't know if you'd care to comment, but I'm just curious if he was injured while doing EOD work or if it was enemy action, roadside bomb, or what.

Four limb amputation? That is the absolute worst, particularly for an active person. How's he doing right now?

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
Hikin_Jim

Postby arocknoid » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:31 pm

He is doing extraordinarily well, due in much part to his positive outlook on life. He is being fitted for prosthetics, and has met with a surgeon for initial evaluation for a possible hand transplant.

His injuries occurred while performing EOD duties:

>>>
Leading a team of Army Special forces to a classified location, Taylor stepped on an IED. It exploded underneath him and blew off all four of his limbs. Taylor recalled the moment to me over the phone,

"As soon as I stepped on it, I knew. There was a moment, then I heard the blast. I felt the heat. I knew I had lost my legs. As I summersaulted through the air, I watched my legs fly off."

Taylor landed back in the blast crater. This is where the story of Taylor's bravery goes next-level.

After the explosion, Taylor didn't lose consciousness, he didn't go into shock. His thoughts immediately crystalized. Even though Taylor was bleeding to death, he called to the oncoming medics NOT to come get him, putting their safety in front of his own life.

"I recounted the moment of the explosion. There was no visual on the mine and no sound ID on my mine detector. That told me the mine was old. If there were other mines out there, the medics wouldn't see them or detect them unless it was cleared properly. I knew I had arterial bleeding from all 4 limbs and I was bleeding out fast. I told my buddies to stop, it would only have hurt me more if somebody stepped on another one."

The area around Taylor was finally cleared by the second EOD and the medic finally administered combat casualty care. Taylor remained conscious through the ordeal.
>>>

Words fail me...
arocknoid

Postby David W » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:54 pm

...and he did it for others.
David W

Postby Hikin_Jim » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:35 am

arocknoid wrote:"I knew I had arterial bleeding from all 4 limbs and I was bleeding out fast. I told my buddies to stop, it would only have hurt me more if somebody stepped on another one."
:shock:

Please keep us updated.

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
Hikin_Jim

Postby HH8 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:58 am

David W wrote:...and he did it for others.

The girlfriend that still wants a log cabin with him sees the true hero
HH8

Return to General Chat