Grand Canyon day hike

Non-outdoors topics. News, sports, hobbies, politics, humor.

Grand Canyon day hike

Postby whitneyfan » Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:38 pm

I made my first day hike into the Grand Canyon June 23 2007.
As my user name implies, I'm a big fan of Mt. Whitney, but the Grand Canyon holds a close 2nd place. Never a dull moment.

For anyone thinking of making this hike for the 1st time, I thought I would provide some helpful tips.
Obviously it is a different type of hiking experience in that you have to hike down first and then back up. That is an important point since the trip back up will happen during the hotter part of the day if you are hiking in the summer as I did.

I had planned to hike on the popular Bright Angel trail, down to the river and back up the same way. After arriving and scoping out the trail I realized that this may not be the optimum trail for experiencing the splendors of the canyon. Bright Angel trail is situated in a valley between 2 ridges. Therefore for most of the hike down you only have one view of the canyon. Its a great view, but basically does not change.
This was somewhat of a disappointment to me, and I investigated further to find an alternative.

South Kaibab just a couple miles east of Bright Angel is situated on a ridge that juts out into the canyon. The trail goes along the top of the ridge so that you have wide open views on both sides.
The hiking distance to the river is 2-3 miles shorter also. Even though there is no water on the trail it is only about a 3 hr. hike to the river.

I chose to take South Kaibab to the river and hook up to Bright Angel at the Bright Angel campground just a few hundred yards north of the river.

There is plenty of water available on Bright Angel up to about 2 miles from the trail head. A stream flows along side the trail from Indian Gardens down to the river. Above Indian Gardens on the switchbacks there are 2 water stations with shelter and restrooms.
This makes Bright Angel a better route back to the rim. Also the 4 miles or so of switchbacks up to the rim are in the shade in the late afternoon after about 4:30.

All things considered the South Kaibab to Bright Angel loop is the best way to go I think. Optimum views and optimum water supply.
The loop is about 16 miles total. I completed the trip in 12 hours exactly
from 6:30 am to 6:30 pm. That includes more than 2 hours resting and lunch, and other stops to take pictures and talk to other hikers. I took a very leisurely pace and still had plenty of time.

I drank about 6 liters of water, plus 3 20 oz. bottles of Gatorade, and 2 bottles of Carbo Force that I mix in my water. I even licked table salt from my hand periodically to replace lost sodium.
The temperature was 120 deg according to thermometers located at Indian Gardens. That was at 3:40 pm. It was probably hotter near the river earlier in the afternoon. It actually did not feel that hot, and I suspected if the rangers are not messing with the instruments to scare hikers, but thats just me.

I passed one woman suffering from heat exhaustion near the river. The rangers picked her up by raft.

The park tries to discourage day hikes to the river and back as being too dangerous. It would be for the average tourist hiker that is not conditioned or prepared. But for a conditioned hiker with adequate water and food, and not in a hurry, it is no problem. Plus if you hike in the fall or spring, the heat is not such an issue.

To make the loop you have to park your car at the Bright Angel Lodge and take a morning shuttle to South Kaibab. The shuttles run from sunrise to sunset, and there is a hiker's express shuttle that goes directly to the trailhead. It picks up on the hour at 4,5,and 6 am.

I posted some photos of the hike on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9479793@N0 ... 3551/show/

It is a great hike and I hope to go back again.
I hope this info is helpful.
whitneyfan

Postby magikwalt » Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:58 pm

Hello whitneyfan,

Great trip report and the pictures tell the story. We have a group of four that are looking to do this hike later this summer (once it cools a little) and I really appreciate your info. That trail down looked awesome!

Thanks,

Walt
magikwalt

Postby Hikin_Jim » Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:37 pm

I've been on the S. Kaibab trail as well, and you do have some amazing views. GC trails are steep, but probably not a problem for any C2C'ers or other serious peak baggers/elevation junkies.

Haven't done the whole loop but friends who have suggest the same route: down S. Kaibab, up Bright Angel. By the way, the Bright Angel trail is the one the mule packers use. If you don't like to share the trail, maybe Bright Angel isn't for you.

A word of warning: My dad got Hepatitis from drinking untreated water out of the creek that flows by the Bright Angel Trail. Definitely treat the water with approprate measures. I'm not sure filters will take care of Hep; one might want to investigate further.

Another fun one that my friends tell me about (but a bit more hard core) is down S. Kaibab, and up the N. Kaibab. If you've never been to the N. Rim, it's a whole 'nother world with Aspen, Fir, and Pine trees. Very beautiful. I've gone Memorial Day several times, which is the last weekend I would typically consider doing GC, and I've camped out on the N. Rim between snow banks. HUGE difference between bottom of Canyon and N. Rim. At last report there was a shuttle that will drive you around from N. Rim back to S. Rim. I understand that it's pricey ($100+) and takes multiple hours. The friend that I talked to overnighted at Phantom Ranch and made it back to S. Rim late the following day.
Hikin_Jim

Postby whitneyfan » Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:19 pm

Yes , S Kaibab is fairly steep and pretty constant stepping. The good thing is that it is also a mule trail and very well built and maintained. It is not rugged and full of rocks as with a natural trail. Its basically a stairway all the way up. Same as Bright Angel.

I discovered a way to step up (or down) on those trails that reduces much of the effort and strain. The steps are constructed of wood logs reinforcing each level. Instead of reaching for the platform of the step, I was hopping from edge to edge on the logs. It was faster and required less bending at the knees.

I passed mule trains on both trails, but it was not really that awkward or inconvenient. Its a good excuse to take a rest.

I also filtered water from the Bright Angel Camp creek. No ill effects. Maybe I'm lucky.
whitneyfan

Return to General Chat