Little Hiker in Training

Non-outdoors topics. News, sports, hobbies, politics, humor.

Postby tinaballina » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:31 pm

HJ-I will sign her up to do Aconcagua with me next year...she looks ready for it. lets get her some elevation gain in the mean time.
tinaballina

Postby tinaballina » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:32 pm

zippetydude wrote:You realize that walking and running come very close together developmentally! When Cat was two, she informed me the was a (pronounce like Elmer Fudd would say it) Twail Wunnuh. Too young to pronounce R's, but ready to run. At 3 she ran a mile of the John Muir Trail up in Yosemite. Get ready my friend. Hikin Joyce comes equipped with all sorts of trail genes (being your daughter), you're in for some of the sweetest moments of your life.

z

HJ, check your pm

Kit Cat and hiking joyce will be doing the seven summits before we know it.
tinaballina

Postby KathyW » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:14 pm

Jim: Thanks for sharing - she's growing so fast - you were lucky to see her first steps. About 24 years ago, my son took his first steps for the babysitter. Running does come really fast after walking. I know some people think they are terrible, but I tried one of those wrist leashes on my son when he was about 2 years old. I thought I'd be able to shop without having him run away from me if I used it, but it only took him a few minutes to figure out how to get if off his wrist and run and hide in a clothes rack.
KathyW

Postby zippetydude » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:41 pm

KathyW wrote:Jim: Thanks for sharing - she's growing so fast - you were lucky to see her first steps. About 24 years ago, my son took his first steps for the babysitter. Running does come really fast after walking. I know some people think they are terrible, but I tried one of those wrist leashes on my son when he was about 2 years old. I thought I'd be able to shop without having him run away from me if I used it, but it only took him a few minutes to figure out how to get if off his wrist and run and hide in a clothes rack.

Hah! Little rascal! Makes you laugh looking back, doesn't it?

z
zippetydude

Postby Hikin_Jim » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:50 pm

KathyW wrote:Jim: Thanks for sharing - she's growing so fast - you were lucky to see her first steps. About 24 years ago, my son took his first steps for the babysitter. Running does come really fast after walking. I know some people think they are terrible, but I tried one of those wrist leashes on my son when he was about 2 years old. I thought I'd be able to shop without having him run away from me if I used it, but it only took him a few minutes to figure out how to get if off his wrist and run and hide in a clothes rack.
:lol:

Oh, dear. I think I've got a lot yet to learn.

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
Hikin_Jim

Postby Hikin_Jim » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:58 pm

tinaballina wrote:HJ-I will sign her up to do Aconcagua with me next year...she looks ready for it. lets get her some elevation gain in the mean time.
tinaballina wrote:HJ-I will sign her up to do Aconcagua with me next year...she looks ready for it. lets get her some elevation gain in the mean time.
Well, she's been over 10,000' in the Sierra. That counts, doesn't it?

And after a hard day on the trail, Joyce exhibits good judgment and decides to call it a day.

HJ
Hikin_Jim

Postby tinaballina » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:52 am

you are training her for the altitude just perfectly. can we get her a passport for next years climb????
tinaballina

Postby Hikin_Jim » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:39 pm

tinaballina wrote:you are training her for the altitude just perfectly. can we get her a passport for next years climb????
Passport? No problem. She's already traveled internationally.

Finding an axe and 'pons that are her size, now that might be a problem. :)

HJ
Hikin_Jim

Postby zippetydude » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:27 pm

KathyW wrote:I know some people think they are terrible, but I tried one of those wrist leashes on my son when he was about 2 years old. I thought I'd be able to shop without having him run away from me if I used it, but it only took him a few minutes to figure out how to get if off his wrist and run and hide in a clothes rack.

Kathy, you made me laugh there. It's really just one more attempt to keep the kooky critters from getting hurt. I didn't try one out, but I did some experiments with my dog's shock collar! JK, don't call the police! Anyway, here's a ridiculous clip from a news show.

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/bestof ... .leash.cnn

Kid's just being a little nut, mom is calling his bluff. They actually arrested her - like that's better for the kid. Shoot, I would have tried out stairs to see when he got up. JK, don't call the police!

Anyway, a much better scene is right at the beginning of "Despicable Me", a great kid's movie. Check out the boy at the pyramid. Remind you of your son? Kids will be kids. And, as much as we try to protect them, it seems they usually get out of our best laid plans to keep them safe and try out the real world anyway. It was ever thus.

z
zippetydude

Postby bluerail » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:45 am

I'd go for being drug around at the store..that looks fun.
bluerail

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat