Introducing the (relatively ) new Coachella Valley H3

Non-outdoors topics. News, sports, hobbies, politics, humor.

Postby brad » Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:52 pm

Z

I had issues with the site at my work computer yesterday, but got home and all worked OK at the house computer.

b
brad

Postby zippetydude » Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:07 pm

Thanks Brad. You can never trust that bluerail guy...

I'm in a different office now and the site works fine here. I read about the run thing - sounds crazy, maybe fun, certainly different from anything I've done. I guess the start time might work in the winter, and I'm sure they'll figure it out come summer when it's still 115 outside and time to start the chase. Maybe the run is conducted inside a mall during the hot months.

z
zippetydude

Postby bluerail » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:02 pm

I know a trail that'll make the dogs suffer in the summer.....
bluerail

Postby nobohobo » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:54 am

ON-ON!!
i ran with the hash house harriers in banda aceh, sumatra, back in 1987, a bunch of brit expats workin' the cement factory there.
i still have the t-shirt they gave me. man that was fun, and the beer and burgers tasted good after being in asia for 6 months.
here's two photos of the shirt, front and back;
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2 ... 245c73a597
nobohobo

Location: planet earth - photo was taken in dali city, yunnan province china 1987

Postby bluerail » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:44 pm

hey Dave ! Should have figured you for one of those guys, and even someplace I'd have to get a map out to remember where it is. How you two doing ?

BTW....the beards a little weird
bluerail

Postby nobohobo » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:49 pm

we're a.o.k. out here.
lookin to send you a christmas card, don't have yer snail mail addy
damn! i thought it was just startin' to fill in right nice.
p.s. and to the rest of the board who celebrate christmas;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWuKimtUEas
me? i believe in evolution, that's why i have bluerail servin' me my drinks!
nobohobo

Location: planet earth - photo was taken in dali city, yunnan province china 1987

Late response to numerous replies...

Postby Drag » Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:15 pm

Florian, We haven't been any closer to PS than in the hills above Canyon Plaza. Those marks are at the mercy of the rain and wind. Consider them gone.

Bluerail, Thanks for the welcome! We use both flour and drywall. Both wash away at the slightest provocation. Come out and join us! Learn how to Hash and how to "hare" which is the act of laying the trail for the pack to follow. On 12/19 I'll hare for the eighth time in a row. Even as much as I enjoy haring, I welcome a break from the task. Can't wait to see that trail you have in mind.

Zippety, This is the first website I designed with faster, more capable computers in mind. Are you using a not-so-new PC?

Z & lilbitmo, Yep. It's all about the #69. It's such a happy number. 1:69 pm translated- 1:00 pm + 69 minutes = 1:69 pm. Just a fun way of expressing 2:09 pm. We'll move it back to 5:69 pm soon after daylight savings kicks in to avoid the heat of the day. We'll also tend to have our trails up in higher elevations during the summer months.

All, you'll notice various oddities on our site as well as in posts from other Hashers replying to CVH3-related postings here. We Hashers all have goofy nicknames given to us by a committee of other Hashers with a beer or two in them. BTW, it's not all about the beer. While the golden elixir is a component of most all Hashing activities, I like the TRAIL at least as much. The social part is the most important. In my thirteen-plus years of Hashing I have met most of my current friends.

nobohobo, Yes! Hashing is a world-wide activity and it is fun! We're just getting started here and our attendance is predictably low for the time being. Before long this group will take off too. Packs of 10 to 30 seem to be the most fun. When I started in San Diego in '96, we got as many as 250 once or twice. That's nuts!

We had a rugged little trail this past Saturday up above Rancho Mirage in the Magnesia Falls area. Brad was there. He can tell you what he thought. From my perspective, he arrived, he ran, he laughed, he smiled...he gets it!
ON-ON, Drag
Drag

Postby zippetydude » Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:44 pm

Hi Drag. Yes, that is our slowest computer - I believe I could beat it using an abacus. The site seems fine on our other computers.

I'm glad Brad tried it out. It'll be interesting to hear the perspective of a first timer.

It sounds very different from a training run, but then it sounds like all of you are runners, but then there's all that starting and stopping and looking for clues - the novelty intrigues me. I'm guessing it's one of those things that's simple when you do it, but sounds more complicated than it is when you hear about it. In any case, if I can get a Saturday afternoon free, I'd definitely like to give it a go.

z
zippetydude

Coachella Valley Hash House Harriers...

Postby Drag » Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:59 pm

Fun is what it's all about! All Hashers will derive something different from the activity depending on their predisposition. You don't have to like running. You don't even have to like beer. (No one is compelled to drink any alcohol.) If you happen to like both, you're in business! As long as you like an escape from a world that expects something from you in terms of performance or behavior, you'll be in good company. We're not politically correct. We're known to party like rugby players: lots of "colorful" language, singing, laughing, etc. In the 70+ years of Hashing, lots of traditions are in place as well. Many of them are simply silly just for the fun of it.

Solving the trail is more fun for the pack when there are five or more people involved. FRBs (front running bastards) get to the checks first and fan out to find true-trail. The rest of the pack catches up have their own fun at their own pace. The point is that we all end up at the finish or "ON-IN" for some camaraderie and laughs.
ON-ON, Drag
Drag

Postby magikwalt » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:40 pm

Any jobs for guys that can't trail run or hike due to injury but that can still drink the bottom out of a southern still??? Just wondering in case anyone out there needs a job!!!

:twisted: :twisted:
magikwalt

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat