Trail Shoes - Whatcha Using?

Non-outdoors topics. News, sports, hobbies, politics, humor.

Postby halhiker » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:10 pm

I've been using a pair of La Sportiva trail running shoes and I like them but the sole is wearing out quicker than I'd like. I wonder if those thirty mile days have anything to do with it?
halhiker

Postby zippetydude » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:21 pm

I ran into the same thing with my Montrails as Dave did. I looked up the Adrenaline ASR that was mentioned, so I'm thinking about maybe trying a pair of those out come spring.

hal, is the shoe just generally wearing out, or is the sole coming apart?

z
zippetydude

Postby halhiker » Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:14 pm

zippetydude wrote:I ran into the same thing with my Montrails as Dave did. I looked up the Adrenaline ASR that was mentioned, so I'm thinking about maybe trying a pair of those out come spring.

hal, is the shoe just generally wearing out, or is the sole coming apart?

z

I love the shoes but the soles wore out WAY too quickly. They started showing wear after the first time I used them. I think the rubber is far too soft. If they get a better soles these would be the perfect shoe.

The model I have is called the Wildcat.
halhiker

Postby Norris » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:53 am

Joining this thread kind of late, but my vote is for Five Ten Camp 4 approach shoes. They are super sticky on rock, and super comfortable even on 30+ mile hikes like this past weekend. The soles grip well in all conditions, they handled the occasional snow/ice patches on the Fuller ridge trail well. Before these, I wore the La Sportiva Exum Ridge model, also very good, but not that durable. I wore the La Sportivas all the way to Camp 1 on Aconcagua, but after that trip, they were toast. Which reminds me (thinking about all that red dirt) - you can wash the Five Ten Camp 4 on gentle setting, cold water in a front loading washing machine and air dry them and get them basically like new, I've done that a few times.
Norris

Postby bluerail » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:14 pm

Merrels are my choice for hiking, but think I have to find something diffrerent for chasing Zip. Not enough cushion for running, but they are great on the rocks. Fairly soft compound grips really good, downside is I've gone through 3 pair in a year. Best thing I've done for my feet though, has been the Superfeet insoles.
bluerail

Postby Drag » Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:22 pm

Right now I'm using New Balance 875s. They're trail running shoes made for a neutral arch. I prefer NB because they have proven to be durable and I've never twisted an ankle in them. I had that problem with some Adidas trail shoes. I used to get the NB 904s but they quit making them.

I use the superfeet insoles too. Their main function is to keep your heel in place over the rear end of the shoe. Otherwise they can tend to slide left to right on uneven terrain. They were recommended to me by a Chiropractor in SD named Craig Jeffers, a.k.a. the "running doctor". The only drawback of the superfeet is that they don't provide the same cushion as the insoles that come with the shoes.
ON-ON, Drag
Drag

Previous

Return to General Chat