Hydration Preferences

Non-outdoors topics. News, sports, hobbies, politics, humor.

Postby phydeux » Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:04 pm

Just plain 'ol water. Since its been keeping mankind hydrated for thousands of years with no real changes to its formula, I figure there's no reason to alter it now no matter what the latest marketing pseudoscience is. Maybe filter it or iodize it to control the nasty microbes that may reside in it, but nothing else. Livin' on the edge, one glass of tap water at a time. :D
3 of the 5 voices in my head are telling me to "Go for it!"
phydeux

Postby Norris » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:12 pm

Note, there is a very important difference between the bottled Gatorade drinks and the Gatorade power (which is sold in plastic tubs and individual pouches). The Gatorade drinks are 100% fructose, which is sub-optimal for endurance hiking. The powder is much better because it has a mix of two different kinds of sugars (sucrose and dextrose if I recall correctly) plus salt and other electrolytes. My understanding is that the ideal energy drink has multiple different kinds of simple carbohydrates in it, as opposed to a single one. The more elaborate energy drink powders have sucrose, dextrose, maltodextrin, etc. but you can pay a ridiculous price for some of these store-bought mixtures. The Gatorade powder has most of the ingredients you want, and is a really good deal when you buy it in the tubs.
Norris

Postby asabat » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:20 pm

phydeux wrote:Just plain 'ol water.

Works for some, doesn't work for others, has killed a few from dilution of the body's electrolytes in very extreme conditions.
asabat

The true fountain of youth

Postby halhiker » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:47 pm

Whenever possible I get up to Round Valley and bring back water straight out of the pipe without filtration of any kind. For some reason this water holds an incredible amount of effervescent energy as if it were infused with power of life itself.
halhiker

Postby zippetydude » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:28 pm

Proper fluid intake for resourceful hikers on November 7th:

Double espresso just before beginning, along with about 16 ounces of Dr. Pepper.

Anything you can bum off of Steve on the way up.

Couple shots of vodka at Flatrock. Raid Florian's emergency bucket.

Beer at the Tram bar.

Shuttle back to the museum, do it all again.

Simple!

z
Last edited by zippetydude on Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
zippetydude

Postby Florian » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:11 pm

zippetydude wrote:Raid Florians emergency bucket.

Leave my bucket alone. (Unless to contribute a bottle.) Otherwise, your plan sounds good!

-Florian
Florian

Postby magikwalt » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:00 am

Zip,

You better not raid Florian's bucket on Friday night. I'm counting on that apple juice for mixing drinks Saturday morning.
magikwalt

Postby Ellen » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:15 am

Howdy All :)

I use Gatorade Endurance from the powder. It has about twice the sodium (200 mg per 8 oz) of regular Gatorade (110 mg per 8 oz). I am a salty sweater -- I always have patches of dried salt on my shirt after completing Skyline.

As Norris mentioned, consuming several simple carbohydrate sources (e.g. glucose and sucrose) increases carbohydrate absorption in the small intestine. This means that you have less gastrointestinal distress (the drink isn't sitting in your gut) and the muscles have more carbohydrate to burn for fuel.

Beer at the tram bar after Skyline -- PRICELESS 8)

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

Postby tinaballina » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:19 am

zippetydude wrote:Proper fluid intake for resourceful hikers on November 7th:

Double espresso just before beginning, along with about 16 ounces of Dr. Pepper.

Anything you can bum off of Steve on the way up.

Couple shots of vodka at Flatrock. Raid Florians emergency bucket.

Beer at the Tram bar.

Shuttle back to the museum, do it all again.

Simple!

z

LMAO-i hope that vodka is belvedere..

i just do water and electrolyte pills throughout the summer. i might do water up the first round on the 7th and cytomax on round two. i just get tired of the non taste of water.
tinaballina

Postby magikwalt » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:54 am

I received a PM wondering why I was interested in how people hydrated and with what. The local trails had at least 4 fatalities this year and many close calls. ZippetyDude asked a question about a fluid loss chart and I ran across this one.

Symptoms by percent body weight water loss:
PERCENT WATER LOST --------- SYMPTOMS
0% --- none, optimal performance, normal heat regulation
1% --- thirst stimulated, heat regulation during exercise altered, performance declines
2% --- further decrease in heat regulation, hinders performance, increased thirst
3% --- more of the same (worsening performance)
4% --- exercise performance cut by 20 - 30%
5% --- headache, irritability, "spaced-out" feeling, fatigue
6% --- weakness, severe loss of thermoregulation
7% --- collapse likely unless exercise stops
10% -- comatose
11% -- death likely
[Nutrition for Cyclists, Grandjean & Ruud, Clinics in Sports Med. Vol 13(1);235-246. Jan 1994]

As part of a test this summer I spent an hour on treadmill indoors at a temperature of 85º. In one hour of max incline fast walking pace I dropped 4.3lbs of fluid or 2 liters. My underestanding is the body absorbs about 1 liter an hour. On a hard 6 hour hike it means I end 5%-6% dehydrated. I weigh 250lbs.

At least I think that is the way the science works.
magikwalt

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat