Custom Daypacks

Non-outdoors topics. News, sports, hobbies, politics, humor.

Postby Reego » Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:31 pm

Definitely go light weight, lots of UL packs only cost between 100 and 150...check out:

-http://www.ula-equipment.com/
Someone already mentioned ULA above, which may be the most popular brand of packs on the PCT, they are known to be ultra-light and durable

-http://www.gossamergear.com/
Gossamer gear has a cool pack comparison that you can click on, also saw a lot of these on the PCT, but some PCT hikers said they are not so durable, but when you're consistently carrying 15-20 pounds of food the pack can gets beat up way more

-http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/default.asp
Six Moons also has a pack comparison link.

-http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/
Mountain Laurel Designs has some very intriguing products. I have been eyeing the prophet and revelation packs

Whenever buying from the ultralight companies, be sure to call them up and ask as many questions and "dumb" questions as you can, all the ultralight companies have great customer service. Things to consider are how much weight you plan on carrying? Do you carry your tent inside your pack? Do you carry your pad inside your pack? Hope this helps!
Reego

Postby asabat » Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:56 pm

The original question was custom packs, not UL, but since we're there:

Don't buy any UL pack until you've reduced your other pack weight. You can't put 60 pounds (or even 30 in some cases) in these packs. Reduce your shelter weight and other items first.

I was loaned an original G4 (Gossamer Gear) pack for a week long backpack some years ago. After loading my 5 pound tent, 5 pound sleeping bag, and extra everything, I unpacked and went back to my Kelty pack. I then did more research, replaced my tent, sleeping bag, and pretty much everything else, and had Glen make me a pack. I've resewn a couple seams a few time but it's still working great.

I since bought a couple packs from Brian - a ULA Circuit and before that a returned P2. They are both great packs - I use one of these 3 depending on what I'm doing and what I'm carrying.

Glen, Brian, and Ron (Ron at Six Moon Designs) are all great guys, hard core hikers who understand what long distance hikers need. I have one of Ron's tents but his packs don't fit ME well.
asabat

Postby Hikin_Jim » Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:19 pm

I believe Tina is just looking for a day pack.
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
Hikin_Jim

Postby FIGHT ON » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:00 pm

FIGHT ON

Postby tinaballina » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:05 am

yes, just a day of speed hiking sort of speak, the lighter the better.

i am looking for a pack to carry a 3 liter bladder and then an additional 2 liters (i can do bottles for that) put a long sleeve in, have multiple pockets and a must is to have zip pockets around the waist. Since i have had those it would be hard to go back to not having them, love those things especially for summer hiking.

Thanks again everyone.
tinaballina

Postby KathyW » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:06 pm

The GoLite V024 is a pretty good little day pack if you like to go lightweight. I have an older version and it's worked out pretty good on trips where I don't carry tons of stuff - it has the zippered belt pockets. You probably can find last year's version on sale for a lot less than the MSRP for this year's pack.

http://www.golite.com/Product/proddetail.aspx?p=PA5967&s=2
KathyW

Postby zippetydude » Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:12 pm

Secret Strategy: Your pack will be a great deal lighter if you quit packing so much weight in it! 5 liters!? I don't think I used 5 liters when I did Skyline in July!

(DISCLAIMER: For any newbies who read that comment, it is intended strictly for humorous purposes and is not intended to encourage you to attempt a dangerous ascent of Mt. San Jacinto in the summer.)

I still say a hip pack will leave you cooler for the hike (reducing fluid loss due to sweat) and carries the water below the spine, therefore reducing core energy expenditure wasted in additional balance and load bearing effort. The higher up on your body you carry the weight, the harder the body has to work to carry it.

If that sounds silly, test it out - carry a couple of 1 liter bottles, one in each hand, the next time you do Skyline. After a couple of miles, cache them for future use. When you resume hiking, you'll feel like you're floating; it'll seem that much easier. This is an extreme example (with the weight being carried from the shoulders, thus affecting the above mentioned factors plus creating additional effort in breathing due to the downward pressure on your breathing), but you get the point.

Additional benefit: You can find a pretty decent hip pack at any sporting goods store for about 30 bucks.

I know, I sound like a Hip Pack Evangelist. Wait til this fall, though, when we're talkin' a couple times up Skyline...maybe the second time up, it'll start to seem like a good idea!

z
zippetydude

Postby tinaballina » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:02 pm

KathyW wrote:The GoLite V024 is a pretty good little day pack if you like to go lightweight. I have an older version and it's worked out pretty good on trips where I don't carry tons of stuff - it has the zippered belt pockets. You probably can find last year's version on sale for a lot less than the MSRP for this year's pack.

http://www.golite.com/Product/proddetail.aspx?p=PA5967&s=2

Thanks Kathy, this pack actually looks pretty good.
tinaballina

Postby tinaballina » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:11 pm

Zip-

LMAO.

i am so glad you are back from your trip and back on the board to humor me. i love it.

When we went up san bernardino peak that day and you carried my pack to let me see the difference i was amazed, my breathing improved and that was only for a short time. i am up for filling my cache spot, i have one bottle up there, i will have to reup before october comes that is for sure.

have fun shopping tomorrow, make sure my cat gets some really cute ensambles.
tinaballina

Postby magikwalt » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:45 am

I agree with ZD on the lumbar pack. I picked up one from Mountainsmith and it will carry more than 3 liters if need be. The heat build up from a backpack is really noticable after doing a couple 18 milers with it.
magikwalt

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat