suggestions?

Non-outdoors topics. News, sports, hobbies, politics, humor.

suggestions?

Postby micah » Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:30 pm

I'm a summer transplant in L.A. from Colorado in desperate need of a peak to climb this weekend. I've looked around to see what I could find, but I was hoping the nice folks on this site might be willing to give me suggestions on peaks near the L.A. area.

I probably don't have time to camp this weekend, so ideally it would be a place I could drive to on saturday morning, finish up by late afternoon, and be back by the evening. I can handle a high mileage, strenuous hike and would prefer something without a ton of people, but I'll take what I can get. Can anyone offer some thoughts on peaks/routes? I would also be happy with a nice desert or mountain hike without a peak, if that's what folks recommend.

Thanks so much.

Micah
micah

Re: suggestions?

Postby AlanK » Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:18 pm

micah wrote:I'm a summer transplant in L.A. from Colorado in desperate need of a peak to climb this weekend.

The peak to climb this weekend
AlanK

Re: suggestions?

Postby FIGHT ON » Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:24 pm

micah wrote: strenuous hike and would prefer something without a ton of people
Micah

Seems like the Baldy has been crowded recently (see Cy's TR) "On the way back we counted 238 people in a three mile stretch and then gave up counting" :) Maybe in the San Gorgonio or Jacinto areas there would be less people.
FIGHT ON

Postby bluerail » Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:38 pm

I agree. either one of those peaks is gonna have way less people than Baldy this weekend, if thats what you're looking for.
bluerail

Postby micah » Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:22 pm

thanks for the advice - i'll check those out.
micah

Postby zippetydude » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:38 pm

I think getting a crowd on Baldy was the goal this weekend! I won't be able to attend, but the idea is worthy.

micah: If you won't be participating in the fundraiser on Baldy, you might see some very different terrain that's fun to explore if you take a little extra drive and go out to San Jacinto. You'll have a chance to feel 100+ temps in Palm Springs, cruise up in the tram to a cool, pleasant forest, then take in amazing views if you want to hike up to the peak of San Jacinto. Even explore a real cool sand dune just off Hwy 111 near Palm Springs. Might be a different sort of experience if you haven't been out this way before.

z
zippetydude

Return to General Chat