nobohobo

Non-outdoors topics. News, sports, hobbies, politics, humor.

nobohobo

Postby bluerail » Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:12 pm

Kathryn and I had a great time today with these two. Dave and Michelle came out from New Hampshire on Thursday to do one of three sections of the PCT that they had to by-pass last year on their thru-hike due to fires. The Apache fire in this area had them miss the Desert Divide section, so they started at the trail crossing at Hwy 74 on Thursday evening and we picked them up on Black Mountain Road this morning. They got a taste of good weather while they were here and some of the wind Friday night.
It was interesting to sit and talk with people who were able to quit their jobs, go walk 2200 miles on the AT, go home and get their jobs back, only to go and walk 2700 miles on the PCT a couple of years later.
Dave and Michelle were lots of fun to visit with and I only wished that they lived around here. Well, now we have friends in New Hampshire that we can hike in the White Mountains with.
Thanks again for lunch guys. It was great fun.

btw: It was interesting to learn that asabat was the water information source for this area of the PCT.
bluerail

Postby zippetydude » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:07 pm

Once we sell our children, I hope to live that carefree lifestyle too!

For sale:

One teenager. Pesky but fun, only occasional attitude. $1,000,000,000,000.00
One 12 year old. Good attitude. Easily worth 10x that much. Same price.
One 7 year old. Attitude of the teenager, wiley as a 40 year old. No returns on this one. Same price.
Please submit all offers with a cash advance of $100,000,000,000.00

But seriously, how fun for them to come out and do this, and to run into such a fun couple like you two! Thanks for representing CA for us! I'm glad the weather cooperated. And look at that guy, pleasantly squeezed between two hotties! Too bad he wasn't looking at them - looking straight ahead, he was seeing only a really nice guy holding a "Bat Piss" beer! Well, you can't have everything!

z
zippetydude

Postby halhiker » Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:02 pm

zippetydude wrote:Once we sell our children, I hope to live that carefree lifestyle too!

For sale:

One teenager. Pesky but fun, only occasional attitude. $1,000,000,000,000.00
One 12 year old. Good attitude. Easily worth 10x that much. Same price.
One 7 year old. Attitude of the teenager, wiley as a 40 year old. No returns on this one. Same price.
Please submit all offers with a cash advance of $100,000,000,000.00

But seriously, how fun for them to come out and do this, and to run into such a fun couple like you two! Thanks for representing CA for us! I'm glad the weather cooperated. And look at that guy, pleasantly squeezed between two hotties! Too bad he wasn't looking at them - looking straight ahead, he was seeing only a really nice guy holding a "Bat Piss" beer! Well, you can't have everything!

z

I've got a teenager I'd trade and a ten year old, who likes hiking. Of course, I'd be getting three and you'd only be getting two so I'd easily be getting the worst of that deal so never mind.
halhiker

Postby tinaballina » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:28 am

Very nice!
tinaballina

Postby nobohobo » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:43 pm

we had a great time! kinda wish we lived out there.
thanks again to all who gave us valuable info.
thanks to hal for offering to help us with a ride back to our car, but steve already had assured us that he was willing to help us out.
thanks steve and kathryn, you two are the best, really and truely.
we really like you two.
as for all of you wanting to drop the kids off, sell the house and start hiking, one word of advice to be taken lightly.
the grass is greener on the other side of the fence, only because the "schist" is deeper! :shock: :wink:
you folks sure live in a beautiful part of the country.
after we hiked the divide we went back to idyllwild to the state campground to crash. we woke up the next morning and went down to warner springs then took county road#2 from there to ocotillo on interstate 8. what a cool desert the anza borrego is, then went the "the fence" and took some photos of it,and of me talking to the border control guy, then off to sandy eggo to book a room and head to ocean beach and enjoy the pacific.
now we're home and back to work . i'll never quench my thirst for wandering and exploring the earth we live on.i've got 3 continents left to see, i started over 30 years ago and won't be done till i'm up in smoke.
i don't know how to put photos up on this or any forum or i'd do it.
chickety started the blog back up and i'm sure we'll put more photos up there in time.
thanks again,
you know where we live
nobohobo

Location: planet earth - photo was taken in dali city, yunnan province china 1987

Return to General Chat