A bit of a storm coming Sat

Non-outdoors topics. News, sports, hobbies, politics, humor.

A bit of a storm coming Sat

Postby HikingJoe » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:39 am

A storm track is aiming at California, however Southern California will escape the brunt of the moisture field. We will however see the dynamics for strong gusty winds and even precipitation chances in the Coachella Valley sometime early Saturday onward. The Palm Springs Aerial Tramway Weather Center has issued a Hazardous Weather outlook for all hikers and guests for this weekend's system.

With the precipitation chance, wind will likely be an issue if the current trend sticks, with wind gusts over 50+ mph on the summit, and filtering through the Western Coachella Valley through the Banning Pass as well (Which is not anything new to you all there as of late)

What will be the "new thing" might be this late season storm, possibly bringing a shot of precipitation on that side of the mountain. Cross the fingers on this one ...

Kevin
HikingJoe

Postby FIGHT ON » Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:47 pm

They said something like that for last Sat for the Baldy Area.
Turned out that the number of hikers in groups either thinned out or didn't go all together. Worked out great for me as there was nobody that I saw on the way up. Beautiful cloud formations zooming all over the place the entire day! That wasn't you was it?
FIGHT ON

Postby HikingJoe » Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:02 pm

No I predicted the storm system would miss to the North and East, which puts those clouds zooming by you and strong winds in the mountain and desert areas.

This is the only time precip on that side of the valley and mountain has been predicted for a while now. The storm system has enough deep layer moisture and dynamics to warrant the chance of precip. Also a project I did called UJEAS for a month long forecast shows the storm track over Southern California and this storm is embedded in the UJEAS' predicted flow.

I think it is safe to say it is in the bag and ready to, as the price is right would say, "Come on down!"
HikingJoe

Postby hikehigh » Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:49 pm

I think it is safe to say there is a 100% chance it might rain.
hikehigh

Postby HikingJoe » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:00 pm

I never liiked the % chance system. Either it will or won't is how I like to keep things. 100% = Yes . . . then yes, lol.
HikingJoe

Postby » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:58 am

Can you make it not rain/snow around Mt Baldy this Saturday? I would appreciate it. Thx. :P

Postby HikingJoe » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:32 pm

Snow it is, above 8,000 feet for the frontal zone. Mt. Baldy will have new snow with this storm. I think if things work out so will the tramway so new snow is likely there as well at the summit.
HikingJoe

Postby FIGHT ON » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:54 pm

Zé wrote:Can you make it not rain/snow around Mt Baldy this Saturday? I would appreciate it. Thx. :P

You didn't say "please". Where are your manners? :roll:
Now look what you did! http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.ph ... it=0&lg=en
Right smack dab in the middle of your hike! :shock: unbelievable...
shoulda said, Can you PLEASE make it not rain/snow around Mt Baldy this Saturday PLEASE? I would appreciate it. Thx.
(and then make an offering of some sort)
makes all the difference, try it next time and see.
FIGHT ON

Postby DavidEllzey » Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:42 pm

Fun for the PCT hikers coming off San Jacinto:

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.ph ... 2=-116.718

Dave
DavidEllzey

Postby HikingJoe » Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:00 pm

Can't say I didn't warn ya, again. The storm is still on the way for the late season variety. It'll be gone by Sunday with extreme warming next week.
HikingJoe

Next

Return to General Chat