Ellen's caffeine article

Non-outdoors topics. News, sports, hobbies, politics, humor.

Postby zippetydude » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:14 am

Hmmm. Okay, I'll bite.

I checked out the article FIGHT ON linked, and it seemed to me that most of the concerns about caffeine were relatively mild or only anecdotally substantiated.

I did a little looking around, though, about the fibrocystic disease mentioned in the article. There actually does seem to be a correlation (potentially causative) between the two. Being male, I don't have the apparatus they mentioned as having been affected, but I was surprised to find some actual research that, at least on the surface, appeared to back the point.

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/pagere ... ageindex=1

It's not a recent article, but I didn't research very thoroughly (about 5 minutes) either. I'm not going to avoid all caffeine use, but I will keep an eye out for caffeine being linked to truly terrible diseases that might actually strike me . . . like male pattern baldness. :shock:

z
zippetydude

Postby » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:13 am

sorry can't trust anything written by someone named Elmer! :P

joking!

Postby zippetydude » Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:04 pm

Isso é verdade. Quase tão pouco como uma pessoa nomeada Ze! :D

Não me lembro muito bem o meu portugues. Voce entendeu?

z
zippetydude

Postby » Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:27 pm

meu deus! Entendi. Você escreve muito bem, mesmo com accentos!

não sou brasileiro nem português, só sou americano que mora em brasil por alguns meses. Meu nome de verdade é Joe, e Zé é o tradução claro. (Não Hiking Joe, porém, talvez meu apelido deve ser "Zé das Trilhas") :lol:

Postby FIGHT ON » Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:05 pm

Zé wrote:meu deus! Entendi. Você escreve muito bem, mesmo com accentos!

não sou brasileiro nem português, só sou americano que mora em brasil por alguns meses. Meu nome de verdade é Joe, e Zé é o tradução claro. (Não Hiking Joe, porém, talvez meu apelido deve ser "Zé das Trilhas") :lol:

Hey Hey! I know gossip when I see it! Talking about someone behind their back huh? Pretty cowardly! Image
FIGHT ON

Postby zippetydude » Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:46 pm

"cowardly"? You said "cowardly"?! Yipes!

I know, when you're standing next to some people and they suddenly start talking in another language, and it's obviously because they don't want you to understand, that's kind of annoying.

This, on the other hand, was a brief chance for me to practice Portuguese, since I know Ze speaks it.

He said, "can't trust anything by someone named Elmer."

I said (in Portuguese) "That's true. Almost as bad as someone named Ze. I don't remember my Portugues very well. Did you understand?"

He said, "Yes. We must do something horrible to FIGHT ON."
I said, "How about destroying his beloved register stamp?"
He said, "Not bad enough. How about steal it, take it to Starbucks, and bury it in a mound of coffee beans?"
I said, "Yes. Let's plan on doing it on a terrible day, like when USC gets beaten by Oregon again!"

Amazing how much we could say in Portuguese in just those few sentences, huh? You can see we were being nice by switching language. Just trying to protect you from the awful truth.

z
zippetydude

Postby FIGHT ON » Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:07 pm

Ok, That's it. :evil:
We'll see how you feel tomorrow morning, racing around looking in vain, for your, fix. Wondering who took it?? Only to find the answer, in the mirror, printed in red across your forehead, NO THGIF
And running to the neighborhood stores and coffee shops won't help ya either!, Something tells me they'll be out of it too! :D
and it wasn't Oregon, It was Oregon State!
And you were talking about Hiking Joe! Tell the truth!
FIGHT ON

Postby magikwalt » Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:47 am

Great article Ellen. Thank you for posting it.

In doing the research did you come across any studies that looked at keeping the ingestion rate steady for extended hours. I am a bit worried that I may need to bring a sack full of kola nuts on our next 20 miler.
magikwalt

Previous

Return to General Chat