Dave Brubeck: Composing Ansel Adams

Non-outdoors topics. News, sports, hobbies, politics, humor.

Dave Brubeck: Composing Ansel Adams

Postby FIGHT ON » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:58 am

Listen to the podcast with the interview. I found this really interesting that he used Yosemite as a source of inspiration...
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... =102656153
FIGHT ON

Postby halhiker » Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:07 pm

I listened to this the other day. Very nice.
halhiker

Postby FIGHT ON » Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:41 pm

halhiker wrote:I listened to this the other day. Very nice.

Yep! and Very cool...8) Take 5 daddy-o!
FIGHT ON

Postby zippetydude » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:20 pm

So, you're an NPR fan! All Things Considered is one of my favorites.

I like this idea, so I look forward to actually seeing the presentation with both pictures and music.

My favorite memory of music in Yosemite took place more than 20 years ago. It was June, it was already dark, and it was about 20 degrees; a group of us tired, hikin' fools was standing around outside the Tuolumne Lodge Restaurant, listening to a guy play the blues on a beat up guitar. It was way too cold, way too late, and I was way too tired to tell you if he was actually any good. I will say that a scratchy blues voice, singing songs up in the wilderness, totally unplugged, was maybe the best music I've ever experienced.

On a different occasion, I was up at Dry Lake in the San G Wilderness, and had just set up camp on my first ever trip there. This was, perhaps, 30 years (OMG! I'm Old!) ago. Out of nowhere, someone somewhere off in the distance began to play the flute. If floated, haunting and mysterious, over the lake. They only played for a few minutes, but again, that's just about as good as it gets for a simple guy like me.

I look forward to this. Maybe it's something I can see at home that will be like those previous occasions. Life is sweet. Thanks for the post.

z
zippetydude

Postby halhiker » Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:48 pm

zippetydude wrote:So, you're an NPR fan! All Things Considered is one of my favorites.

I like this idea, so I look forward to actually seeing the presentation with both pictures and music.

My favorite memory of music in Yosemite took place more than 20 years ago. It was June, it was already dark, and it was about 20 degrees; a group of us tired, hikin' fools was standing around outside the Tuolumne Lodge Restaurant, listening to a guy play the blues on a beat up guitar. It was way too cold, way too late, and I was way too tired to tell you if he was actually any good. I will say that a scratchy blues voice, singing songs up in the wilderness, totally unplugged, was maybe the best music I've ever experienced.

On a different occasion, I was up at Dry Lake in the San G Wilderness, and had just set up camp on my first ever trip there. This was, perhaps, 30 years (OMG! I'm Old!) ago. Out of nowhere, someone somewhere off in the distance began to play the flute. If floated, haunting and mysterious, over the lake. They only played for a few minutes, but again, that's just about as good as it gets for a simple guy like me.

I look forward to this. Maybe it's something I can see at home that will be like those previous occasions. Life is sweet. Thanks for the post.

z

The last time I drove into Yosemite, I was listening to the Björk song Hyperballad done by jazz trio Wasilewski, Miskiewicz and Kurkiewicz. My wife said that it was probably the most perfect music I could have chosen for the drive in. Those words from her make it my best musical experience because she usually hates the music I like.

I've been a KCRW subscriber for years and knowing FO is an NPR fan makes me like him even more!
Last edited by halhiker on Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
halhiker

Postby FIGHT ON » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:42 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kp5V0IVJgtY
Pretty cool.
Never heard the song before, never heard of it either, any version.
I had to find and listen to this to understand what the trio was playing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JK1Xp-CQiFk
They did a good job!
But, I never heard of NPR either before I received the link in my email. My nephew may be a fan. He knows I love Adams images.
Sorry to disappoint you guys, especially you hal.
For you! :D
FIGHT ON

Postby halhiker » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:55 pm

FIGHT ON wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kp5V0IVJgtY
Pretty cool.
Never heard the song before, never heard of it either, any version.
I had to find and listen to this to understand what the trio was playing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JK1Xp-CQiFk
They did a good job!
But, I never heard of NPR either before I received the link in my email. My nephew may be a fan. He knows I love Adams images.
Sorry to disappoint you guys, especially you hal.
For you! :D

That's not from the "Superman" Trail, is it?
halhiker

cairns for Hal

Postby FIGHT ON » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:34 pm

Ha!
boy it would be funny if it really was up there right now. :lol: Bet it would just drive you nuts! Like red to a bull. In a place that even you haven't been.

But I have to admit. when I saw it I thought of you. and I left it there! :lol: :lol: :lol:
FIGHT ON

Return to General Chat