Mount Washington (New Hampshire)

Non-outdoors topics. News, sports, hobbies, politics, humor.

Mount Washington (New Hampshire)

Postby lilbitmo » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:51 pm

A close friend is getting married on Long Island in early June so I'm doing a week in the White Mountains after the wedding and I need as much "Beta" on hiking in the White Mountains as possible.

I need trial maps, hiking distance, trip reports anything you can give me.

I may attempt to do a "Long Day hike of all the summits" from Madison to Esinhower" or more if it's feasable.

I'm considering the Great Gulf Trial if I can get some information about the 1,800 foot wall?

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks Lilbitmo :D
lilbitmo

Re: Mount Washington (New Hampshire)

Postby EnFuego » Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:36 pm

lilbitmo wrote:Any information would be appreciated.

I think New Hampshire is on the East Coast, not sure. Best I could do. :lol:
If you're not living on the edge,
you're taking up too much room!
EnFuego

Postby phydeux » Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:05 pm

Try searching on summitpost.org. There's tons of info available to get you started:

http://www.summitpost.org/

On the blue strip below the summitpost logo, try clicking on both "Mountains and Rocks" and "Trip Reports" then seach in those for either a particular mountain (Washington, Adams, Eisenhower, Madison, etc.), or in the Trip reports for "Presidential Traverse."

Also look on Amazon.com for guidebooks, or go into a local outdoorsey-oriented bookstore. I believe Lonely Planet has a New England or New Hampshire hiking guide that's pretty complete. There's also a group I believe is called the Adirondack Hiking club that sells really good, detailed maps of the hiking regions in Ne England, including the White Mtns. Google them and you should be able to findtheir website.

I might be going there in 2010. The Presidential Traverse looks like about 3-4 days one way.

June is usually peak bug season back there, so arm yourself well. Humidity is high back there, and they get a lot more spring/summer rainshowers, too.

Enjoy and take lot of pics to post here! :D
3 of the 5 voices in my head are telling me to "Go for it!"
phydeux

Postby phydeux » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:43 am

I was mistaken; its the Appalachian Mountain Club. The map's available on Amazon.con:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?ur ... e&x=8&y=18
3 of the 5 voices in my head are telling me to "Go for it!"
phydeux

Re: Mount Washington (New Hampshire)

Postby Kevin » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:47 am

lilbitmo wrote:A close friend is getting married on Long Island in early June so I'm doing a week in the White Mountains after the wedding and I need as much "Beta" on hiking in the White Mountains as possible.

I need trial maps, hiking distance, trip reports anything you can give me.

I may attempt to do a "Long Day hike of all the summits" from Madison to Esinhower" or more if it's feasable.

I'm considering the Great Gulf Trial if I can get some information about the 1,800 foot wall?

Any information would be appreciated.

I'm a New England transplant, and am very familiar with the NH Whites. Will be visiting back there in April, and will be hiking some of the peaks you mention above.

Start by purchasing the Appalachian Mountain Club (AMC) "White Mountain Guide". It's arguably the best trail guide in the country, in part because it is been under active revision since 1907. It will include paper maps, and you can purchase separately the same maps in Tyvek. AMC Guide will give accurate distances and hiking times. Their publications are available in many locations, including their website, www.outdoors.org.

Your "Long Day hike of all the summits" is known as a "Presidential Traverse", as the peaks within that traverse are part of a mountain range by the same name. It is an arduous hike, and those who finish it take 12-15 hours or more. It's usually done from north to south, starting with Madison and ending with Pierce/Clinton, although some include Jackson. Trails in the Whites are rocky and rough, and the weather is unpredictable. Multiple storm tracks converge in that area, along with a dip in the jet stream, which frequently causes high winds and cold temps. It's a good idea to carry some cold weather clothing, like wool hats, mittens, shell gear, and fleece and avoid cotton. Most of the traverse is above treeline. Consequently, pick a day when the weather is good.

Due to the latitude, treeline in the Whites of NH is around 4K', and the climate zone is sub-Arctic/Arctic. Depending upon the year, there's usually some snow in early June, but it has usually retreated to about 3,500' but then. Expect some hard-parked snow/ice from that point to treeline (it melts out above rather rapidly). If you have some traction devices like stabalizers or microspikes it would be a good idea to pack them. Crampons would be overkill.

I've done the Great Gulf Trail. It's about 5K' of elevation gain over 8 miles, most of which occurs in the last two. The trail itself is well-marked most of the way. The steep section follows a brook, so the rocks are wet and sometimes slippery. It usually requires a car spot. While it's an interesting hike in that it's physically challenging, I personally won't invest an entire day of a week-long vacation. Rather, I'd hike Lincoln/Lafayette via the Falling Waters/Old Bridle Path loop, or Moosilauke.

Hope this helps. There's an excellent BB known as "Views from the Top" which has a trail conditions section. It will give you good feedback on snow levels.

Kevin
Kevin

Registered On Boards

Postby lilbitmo » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:20 am

I’ve registered on the Appalachian Trial website and have put in a “Private Request” to Darrin the site administrator of “Views from the Top” as that site requires a “Already Registered” blogger to “sponsor you” into the site. :o And I thought Taco was tough? :shock:

I’m getting some feed back from the aforementioned AT site and I think Darrin will let me register on the other as I referred him to my blogs here on the San G site for proof that I do not cause problems – which is why they require a “Sponsor” on their site. :D

Kevin and Phyduex thanks for all your suggestions, I did research most of that yesterday before I posted and all those places have what I need, the more information I get the better chance of success - information is knowledge.

Kevin, I'm looking forward to the extra challenge - I was able to do the San Gorgonio Traverse in November (9 peaks in 17 hours) so as long as the weather is not "Out of Control" I'm confident that I can do the traverse of the Presidentials in 14 hours or less - I will start at 4 AM and finish around 6 PM thanks again.
lilbitmo

Postby nobohobo » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:34 pm

check out a recent trip report with photos in this thread.
http://forums.adkhighpeaks.com/showthread.php?t=7995

photos are in post #3 and post #20.
you can join that site without a sponsor, and there are people there who know plenty about your proposed hike.
nobohobo

Location: planet earth - photo was taken in dali city, yunnan province china 1987

Postby » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:01 pm

FYI I read this article in National Geographic from last month:

Postby Kevin » Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:48 pm

lilbitmo -

I spent a week hiking in the NH Whites recently, and put together a slide show of a hike up Mt Washington which you can see here on YouTube -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XmOoxMwwL4

The pictures begin as we emerged from treeline via the Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail, with is south of Washington. The peak to the climber's right is Monroe. As we began the descent, you can see Clay, Jefferson and Adams. I don't think the pictures show the northernmost Presidential peak, Madison.

Hope this gives you some idea of the terrain in the Presis.

Kevin
Kevin

Postby bluerail » Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:27 pm

very nice
bluerail

Next

Return to General Chat