Mount Washington (New Hampshire)

Non-outdoors topics. News, sports, hobbies, politics, humor.

Mt. Washington Loop

Postby lilbitmo » Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:45 pm

Kevin,

You making the rest of us "jealous", the snow has been melting so fast that we cannot image that much still on the ground. That is one nice video, thanks for the TR and the update.

I have my trails all marked out, mileage down and escape routes. I'm doing it South to North as I prefer the sun on my back all day long as compared to in my face all day long. I'm fairly excited about going on that trip.

I've been posting on the "Appalachian Trail" website and getting great responses from the folks that go through or live close to that area.

Looks like you had a great time, thanks for taking the time to post and keep me updated on that area.

Look forward to seeing you on the trail.

Lilbitmo :D
lilbitmo

Postby Dave G » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:23 am

Kevin, great info and slides. I remember talking with you about Mt Washington on the Skyline hike; I really need to make it a priority to explore that part of the country beyond what I can see out of an airplane window!

Patrick, pretty cool that you are able to leverage a wedding trip into an extra week of hiking--way to set those priorities :D !
Dave G

Postby Kevin » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:16 am

lilbitmo -

I've always done the traverse from north to south, for the simple reason that the northern peaks are very much rougher and taller than the southern. Once you're past Washington, and in particular, Lake of the Clouds Hut, the foot improves greatly.

I usually start from the Appalachia trailhead and take Valley Way up (sometimes taking Watson Path to the actual summit) to the first hut and then Madison itself. The first few times I did the traverse I'd drive home afterward, but then decided to stay at the AMC's Highland Ctr in Crawford Notch, which is at the southern end of the Presidential Range. On a traverse hike I stay at their Shapleigh House (it's a bunkhouse) as you'll finish after they serve dinner. (When you look at the lodging/meal plan this last statement will make more sense.) After breakfast, you can take their shuttle back to your vehicle at Appalachia.
Kevin

Previous

Return to General Chat