Marmot PreCip Jacket is FAIL

Non-outdoors topics. News, sports, hobbies, politics, humor.

Marmot PreCip Jacket is FAIL

Postby Hikin_Jim » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:50 pm

If you're thinking about getting a Marmot PreCip jacket -- don't. They're advertised as "waterproof" raingear. NOT! In reality, they are a somewhat water resistant windbreaker. I went out for a 90 minute walk a couple of weeks ago in drizzle, not light rain, drizzle, and the coat soaked through in multiple places. FAIL.
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
Hikin_Jim

Postby KathyW » Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:55 am

Jim: I agree with you. I had a couple of precip jackets. I got wet in the rain in the first one and I thought it was just because it was getting old, so I bought a new one. I got wet in that one too. They are water resistant, not waterproof.

Kathy
KathyW

Postby Yichus » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:57 am

Hi Jim,

If you're looking for an exceptionally waterproof jacket, I'd recommend the Marmot Exum, which has the new Gortex Pro Shell, designed for extreme weather conditions. The jacket is lightweight, versatile, and highly breathable. And it repels water amazingly well. I was hiking in heavy, wind-driven rain for over an hour and the jacket kept me dry.

The Exum retails for $400, although I've recently seen it online for around $350. I purchased the jacket--it was a closeout item--from Zappos.com for only $169--a fantastic deal. Not even Travelcountry.com sells the jacket for less. I've never seen a new, three-layer Gortex jacket sell for such a low price.

Good luck.
Yichus

Postby phydeux » Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:54 pm

Try this from Cabelas, the hunting & fishing supplier:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... hasJS=true

A coworker (fisherman) had one and he'd used it for a few years. I bought one in 2002(?) and it still works great.
3 of the 5 voices in my head are telling me to "Go for it!"
phydeux

Postby Hikin_Jim » Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:17 pm

Thanks for the sharing of your experiences and recommendations. If anyone else has a recommendation, I'd really appreciate it if you'd share your experience as well.

I'm thinking of going with true GoreTex for my next jacket. I've pretty much given up on GoreTex substitutes (although I've heard some good things about eVent and hyVent). I'm debating between the GoreTex PacLite and the GoreTex Pro Shell. Any feedback appreciated.

HJ
Hikin_Jim

Postby Norris » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:34 pm

Hi Jim, Are you sure the moisture wasn't perspiration? I find most Gore-Tex shells to be really clammy. Under many conditions, I find that due to perspiration alone the GoreTex garmet gets completely wet on the inside. The way to be 100% sure if it is leaking or not is to wear it in the shower. Regardless, I recommend you try eVent. I have recently switched to eVent and I like it better. Many eVent jackets don't even come with pit zips.
Norris

Postby hikehigh » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:34 pm

Hikin_Jim wrote:If anyone else has a recommendation, I'd really appreciate it if you'd share your experience as well.....I've pretty much given up on GoreTex substitutes

I picked up a Pac Tech jacket by Pacific Trail for $40 at Burlington Coat Factory. Its the best shell I have ever owned and you cant beat the price.
http://www.trailspace.com/gear/pacific-trail/pac-tech-terrain-jacket/
hikehigh

Postby NormaR » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:35 pm

jim,

you asked for experiences... you saw the pix of me and dave g on Iron Mtn last month and we both were wearing precip jackets. my jacket was drenched on the outside, and you could see how it was hanging off my shoulders from the weight, but dry inside. that green one is the lighter of the two precip's i own. i haven't gotten wet yet, but if i did, i would be buying something else too.
NormaR

Postby phydeux » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:58 pm

For summer hikes or in warmer weather where rain is a possibility, I use a poncho instead of a confining jacket. Jackets just make me sweat too much, while a poncho still allows for some airflow to help sweat evaporate (evaporate in the rain? :wink: ). Here's the one I use:

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___20275

It packs small and is lightweight. It's long enough to keep your daypack on your back underneath it, too. I also put a few loops on it around waist-high so I can use a rope belt to gather it in a little bit during windy weather.

For my lower legs I just wear a pair of light gaiters - keeps water out of the top of my shoes, but still allows some lower leg ventilation.
3 of the 5 voices in my head are telling me to "Go for it!"
phydeux

Postby Hikin_Jim » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:52 pm

Thanks everyone for your experiences and recommendations.

Norris wrote:Hi Jim, Are you sure the moisture wasn't perspiration? I find most Gore-Tex shells to be really clammy. Under many conditions, I find that due to perspiration alone the GoreTex garmet gets completely wet on the inside. The way to be 100% sure if it is leaking or not is to wear it in the shower. Regardless, I recommend you try eVent. I have recently switched to eVent and I like it better. Many eVent jackets don't even come with pit zips.
I did take into consideration that I could be sweating from the inside. However, the day was cold and windy, and I wasn't exactly setting any land speed records (I'm recovering from a sprained left knee; I was taking it slow). Also, just as a "control" test, I went out a day or so later in similar conditions in my old jacket, and had no problems with my old jacket soaking through.

Interesting thoughts about eVent. I've had my eye on the REI Shuksan eVent as a replacement, but I rejected the Shuksan since it lacks pit zips (which is normally a "no go" for me). Maybe I should reconsider, but I'm very hesitant to buy a jacket w/o pit zips.

NormaR wrote:you asked for experiences... you saw the pix of me and dave g on Iron Mtn last month and we both were wearing precip jackets. my jacket was drenched on the outside, and you could see how it was hanging off my shoulders from the weight, but dry inside. that green one is the lighter of the two precip's i own. i haven't gotten wet yet, but if i did, i would be buying something else too.
Thank you, Norma. That's the really wild thing about it: The results are all over the map with the PreCip. The site where I purchased the jacket (backcountry.com) has a lot of positive reviews -- but also a lot of reviews just like mine (really bad experiences). Below are some of the bad reviews. There are several more reviews I didn't include that indicate that the jacket soaks through where your pack straps go over your shoulders. It would appear that Marmot has some really serious quality control issues.
Personally the PreCip is a good jacket if you are looking for a jacket you can take on day trips or just carry in your car or backpack in case it starts to rain. However, if you are looking for a jacket to wear in any sustained precipitation then save your money because this jacket saturates easily.

I choose the Precip because of all of its great reviews, best of status, and Backpackers Editors choice award. I have owned it for a little of a year now and it has mostly lived up to all its hype, at least in its casual and recreational use. (i.e. around town and the thunderstorm) However, last week on a small 2 hr day hike in the Quinault Rain Forest it became quickly clammy and began soak through on the arms and chest. Needless to say, I was little disappointed. Bottom line the Precip is good for light and/or small rain showers not, heavy or prolonged periods of rain. Mine is going in my truck to wear around town.

i'm displeased w/ this rain jacket. i bought it as a lightweight rain jacket and needed one w/ pitzips. soooo many hikers swear by this jacket but i don't know why. after a few months the sleeves have become absolutely useless. they get soaked through in 5 minutes of even light rain. the waist is also starting to wet out at a very fast rate. i wouldn't count on this jacket when staying dry really matters. i have to give credit to marmot though. i called and explained my situation and they said to send the jacket in. i'm planning on doing that soon so we'll see what they do about it...

the first day in a downpour i was soaked within 20 minutes. this jacket may be o.k. in light rainfall, but it is too light for a serious storm here in montana.

I have a precip that came with the now discontinued Thunder Ridge. This jacket can't keep you dry from the parking lot to the grocery store. It guzzles Nik Wax to no effect.

Seemed nice enough: pit zips, new collar design, cuffs and windproof is great. First rain (Portland, OK?) the hood leaked at the brim and back. I got it for Christmas. Here we are in April. The DWR is now shot, and the fabric now soaks in the rain.

I bought this because I knew I would need rain gear. It had gotten numerous positive reviews so I was fairly sure that it would work well. I turned out to be wrong. This jacket works okay in very light rain, but then again so does a windbreaker or a t-shirt. I took a ten minute walk in moderate rain, under trees most of the time and by the time I got to my destination the jacket was soaked through at the shoulders and the arms. In its favor it does breathe very well but I would rather have it shed water worth a crap.

I bought this jacket in December and it served me nicely through the winter. But in the spring I discovered that it is not waterproof at all. After first small rain I got all wet.

I too was lured to this jacket by the tiny pack size, low weight, and very reasonable price. Seemed too good to be true. Well, it is. This jacket will protect you from minor storms at best (when new). I have one that is 3 months old, basically sitting in my pack until the snows came, very little to no wear. Well, this week the snow came in hard during a night hike. Wet, heavy stuff that falls fast and melts on you just as fast. "No Problem", I figure as I zip on my PreCip. Within 15 minutes of heavy, wet snow (about an inch on our pack covers), the shoulders and hood were totally wet out, and leaking badly. Skip this for anything but casual, summer use. You can't afford to be in the winter backcountry with an inferior, leaking shell such as this!

phydeux wrote:For summer hikes or in warmer weather where rain is a possibility, I use a poncho instead of a confining jacket. Jackets just make me sweat too much, while a poncho still allows for some airflow to help sweat evaporate (evaporate in the rain? :wink: ).
Absolutely, I too use a poncho a lot in warm or hot wx and have had good results. Ponchoes are great.

For colder wx, I want something that can handle a lot of preciptiation. In particular, I want to keep my down jacket dry on winter trips where there might be heavy, wet snow or when there might be rain in the day and snow at night.
Hikin_Jim

Next

Return to General Chat