mt San Jacinto with a jog stroller question

Non-outdoors topics. News, sports, hobbies, politics, humor.

mt San Jacinto with a jog stroller question

Postby Lomax » Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:18 pm

we are considering hiking from the tram station to idyllwild with our 2 year old in a jog stroller. does anyone know if the trail is smooth enough for a jog stroller?
Lomax

Postby Hikin_Jim » Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:31 pm

I personally wouldn't want to take my child on the trail from the tram to Humber Park, but you might be able to do it if you took it really slow and were prepared to do a lot of carrying.
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
Hikin_Jim

Jog Stroller

Postby lilbitmo » Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:31 am

If you mean to go in the near future your stroller would need to have Snow Mobile Skids on it - It's slushy and getting more snow as we speak.

If you mean in the dry months it's possible - but I would make sure it's legal for one thing - some areas do not allow mechanical devices of any type - state park rules apply from the tram to the other side of Wellmans Divide and then you enter National Forest, check with both agencies to make sure.

As Hiking Jim pointed out, there are some areas you will be carrying the child and some areas that you could push the child.

I've seen quite a few folks carrying their kids in the adaptive child carrying backpacks - One parent carries the child and the other carries the water and other hiking 10 essentials.

The distance from the tram to Idyllwild is only 8+ miles with less than 1,000 feet of elevation gain over Wellmans Divide then mostly downhill to Strawberry Junction and then really downhill on Devils Slide.

You might do the trail once without the child to see if you think it's doable then attempt it with the child if you think you can navigate the tougher spots.

Good Luck
Lilbitmo :D
lilbitmo

Postby zippetydude » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:09 pm

That's a crazy idea...I love it! It really wouldn't work in the winter, but in the summer, it could be a great adventure.

One word of caution. I'm not well educated on AMS, and don't know what the chances are of a very small person encountering life-threatening symptoms up that high. I had seen a posting asking about this on the Whitney Portal board a year or two ago, and their was no clear concensus as to whether it might be dangerous or not. You might research it a bit or speak with your child's pediatrician just to be sure.

Either way, I applaud your involving your critters in your adventures. I've taken mine on jogs and hikes since they were infants, and they are all competent on and off trail, exploring and enjoying the wonder of the wilderness. It's a great experience for parent and child alike.

If you'd like to take it for a trial run, consider the PCT coming up out of Snow Creek. The grade is mild, and the trail is clear.

have fun.

z
zippetydude

Postby phydeux » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:47 pm

Almost certain it would not be allowed. The State regulations for the San Jacinto State Wildernss prohibit "bicycles & motorized vehicles" (on the state park's website and wilderness permit application on that same site). The regulations for the Federal part of the wilderness prohibit "bicycles or any other wheeled vehicle" (federal regulations in Title 36 of the US Code, also on th SGWA website on their permit application). And the Tramway does not allow bicycles either.

As for small kids and altitiude - I've seen babies in backpack carriers on top of White Mountain (east side of the Owens Valley). Also seen them at various areas in the Sierra Nevada at over 9,000 ft on dayhikes. Like all humans, altitiude adaptation probably depends on the individual kid.
3 of the 5 voices in my head are telling me to "Go for it!"
phydeux

How about a simple answer?

Postby halhiker » Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:01 am

No.
halhiker

Return to General Chat