Shortcuts

Non-outdoors topics. News, sports, hobbies, politics, humor.

Postby AlanK » Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:48 pm

FIGHT ON wrote:I'm talking about shortcuts connected to established trails that are obviously created by a one track mind, to shortening the distance. They mess up the landscape and you just can't pick em up, like trash.
Established trails represent an agreement between hikers who want to leave the minimum amount of impact. Sure they're a guide as well for new hikers like me but I believe that most experienced hikers are responsible. I believe that even though they don't need them, they stay on them with that thought in mind.
If everybody made their own way based on their own selfish reasons there wouldn't be any trails, Just a bunch a shortcuts. skyline

I have no argument with that. What really pisses me off is the regularity with which I see new "trails" that cut 20' off of switchbacks -- new erosion gullies for when it rains again. I yelled at a couple of kids making them this summer. It cured them, at least for as long as they were in my sight.
AlanK

Postby FIGHT ON » Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:10 pm

AlanK wrote: I yelled at a couple of kids making them this summer. It cured them, at least for as long as they were in my sight.
Our good friend Hal has trained them well! :lol:
FIGHT ON

Postby halhiker » Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:15 pm

FIGHT ON wrote:
AlanK wrote: I yelled at a couple of kids making them this summer. It cured them, at least for as long as they were in my sight.
Our good friend Hal has trained them well! :lol:

I advise kids to stay on the trail unless they are venturing off of it. Cutting switchbacks is generally not advised due to the erosion caused. I think that if you're going to follow the trail, follow the trail. If you're not following the trail, cutting switchbacks is not an issue since there are none.

And that is for actual trails, not someone's duck marked self-made route.
halhiker

Postby Perry » Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:37 pm

It's not appropriate to criticize Hal because he never advocated cutting switchbacks.
Counting the days until October...
Perry
Site Admin

Postby AlanK » Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:09 pm

Perry wrote:It's not appropriate to criticize Hal because he never advocated cutting switchbacks.

Actually, Hal comes across as a reasonable fellow. :D
AlanK

Postby FIGHT ON » Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:46 pm

Perry wrote:It's not appropriate to criticize Hal because he never advocated cutting switchbacks.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:09 am Post subject: Accessing the Gordon Trail....NOT! Reply with quote
Went for a little hike today in Palm Springs to see if there was an easy access point to get on the fabled Gordon Trail. There is not. I did hike up the canyon between Tahquitz and Andreas and discovered a little trickle of running water at the end. I have been told this is called Os Wit Canyon. That means wild cat or Bobcat in Cahuilla.

I guess to get to the Gordon Trail, I will have to do what I did when I hiked it years ago, clamber up a steep rock ridge about 2000 feet and hope to stumble upon it. I just don't know if I'll get a chance to get to it before we get a winter storm and snow. I could hike up and down but I'd prefer to follow it to Caramba and then to the Tram or Idyllwild.

I took some pictures and they're on my blog. I know FIGHT ON! will love the first one.

http://hikeeveryday.blogspot.com

The pictures didn't come out that big because my kids monkeyed around with my camera and I didn't realize it until I downloaded them.

Maybe you missed this post Perry.
I disagree strongly with several things that Hal does. But I believe we have an understanding. :D
After reading the comment about me w/o any admin or mod response I figured it was acceptable.
If we're going to do this publically then let's be consistent.
I just thought it was on the same level and funny.
FIGHT ON

Postby Perry » Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:19 pm

Okay, Hal made a little comment about you because you're against trespassing, so I guess he can take a little heat in return. But when did Hal encourage others to cut switchbacks? You're suggesting something that is not true.
Counting the days until October...
Perry
Site Admin

Postby FIGHT ON » Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:30 pm

Perry wrote:Okay, Hal made a little comment about you because you're against trespassing, so I guess he can take a little heat in return.
I don't look at it as a little heat.
Trespassing is a very serious matter.
Perry wrote:But when did Hal encourage others to cut switchbacks? You're suggesting something that is not true.

I never said he did. But his reply, "Gotta train those revolutionaries early! Cool" pretty much said it all.:roll:
As you can see I did not follow up. Basically because I am dumbfounded.
My little comment, was a follow up. Something I thought was funny but at the same time serious. It was meant for Hal. If what I said is not ok then let's all have a HUGE discussion about his comment too. :wink:
FIGHT ON

Postby halhiker » Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:49 pm

FIGHT ON wrote:
Perry wrote:Okay, Hal made a little comment about you because you're against trespassing, so I guess he can take a little heat in return.
I don't look at it as a little heat.
Trespassing is a very serious matter.
Perry wrote:But when did Hal encourage others to cut switchbacks? You're suggesting something that is not true.

I never said he did. But his reply, "Gotta train those revolutionaries early! Cool" pretty much said it all.:roll:
As you can see I did not follow up. Basically because I am dumbfounded.
My little comment, was a follow up. Something I thought was funny but at the same time serious. It was meant for Hal. If what I said is not ok then let's all have a HUGE discussion about his comment too. :wink:

I did not take umbrage at FIGHT ON's remarks: I know he has a little man crush on me and likes inserting my name in as many posts as possible (I am assuming FIGHT ON is a man). I'm sure he's even singing, He's A Rebel while writing about me. It's OK.

I posted the No Trespassing sign because I thought it was rather odd to have a such a sign just down from an official trailhead. Hiking in the desert for over 25 years I have grown to ignore those signs because they are frequently at the beginning of trails to which there is no other access. Magnesia Falls, Art Smith, Boo Hoff and Bear Creek are just a few of the trails where hikers are met with No Trespassing signs.

As I said before, I think it's just a CYA measure for the Water District. Since the Water District is not an official government agency, it is possible that they can be sued if people are injured on their land. I've never seen or heard of it actually happening but maybe I might have missed something. (Government agencies cannot, in California, be sued for injuries incurred while performing "hazardous recreational activities")

If I trespass or do some other unlawful action then I am willing to suffer the consequences just like those who refused to go to the back of the bus or pay tribute to the King of England were. If I believe a law is unjust then I believe it is my duty to break it. I've stated this before and FO knows it. That's precisely why he loves me. :wink:

Oh, and I took the kids hiking yesterday and to the snow today. The indoctrination continues...... 8)
halhiker

Postby FIGHT ON » Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:59 pm

halhiker wrote:
I did not take umbrage at FIGHT ON's remarks: I know he has a little man crush on me and likes inserting my name in as many posts as possible (I am assuming FIGHT ON is a man). I'm sure he's even singing, He's A Rebel while writing about me. It's OK.

Nah, It simply bugs me to see a married guy with kids doing all that stuff. I know I know it's none of my business so I won't bug you about it anymore.
FIGHT ON

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat