Hiking Poles

Non-outdoors topics. News, sports, hobbies, politics, humor.

Hiking Poles

Postby CXP777 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:41 pm

I was wondering if Hiking Poles are worth the investment? I have done my reserach and they say it improves balance, speed, and reducing stress on your back and knee joints. Do they really increase speed and help out with the other areas? I am having trouble seeing these benefits because I see them as another thing to carry with you and having to maintain a rythm. Just looking for feedback.
CXP777

Don't use mine often

Postby halhiker » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:01 am

I have a pair of Leki Super Makalu poles and I really don't use them except when traveling on snow. Personally, I don't like having them in my hands all the time but maybe that's just me. I tend to be a bit of a minimalist and don't like to carry much in my pockets, in my pack or my hands. I tend not to wear a watch or jewelry, as well.

Some people swear by them, though. Old people with bad knees and Euros, mostly.
halhiker

Re: Don't use mine often

Postby Pup » Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:38 am

halhiker wrote:Some people swear by them, though. Old people with bad knees and Euros, mostly.

Suddenly I feel old and gimpy... :roll:

I love my Leki Super Makalu poles, but I do leave them home when I go trail running.
Pup
Pup

Postby KathyW » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:40 am

I used to use poles most of the time when hiking because everyone had them but I have found that they often get in the way more than they help, so now I don't use them as often unless I'm heading out in snowy conditions. I'll do carry one pole if I think it's going to be a loose steep descent - the pole is helpful then. If you don't use poles going uphill your legs will get stronger.

If you get them, the Black Diamond Poles work best because they don't collapse as easy as some of the other brands when using them. It's a pain in the butt to have to keep adjusting poles when hiking.
KathyW

Where is Rick?

Postby FIGHT ON » Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:21 am

I like em. :D I see a huge benefit when I use them. One argument against them is that they have weight and therefore slow you down. :roll: To that I say why not take the extra sprockets off a mountain bike and have one fixed gear. Then see how ya do. HIKING POLES ARE LIKE EXTRA GEARS! or extra legs if you will, Not to mention they really help take the banging off your knees on the way down. Like shock absorbers, again if you will. (If you use em right :wink:) That goes for on the way up too! You got to USE them! Not just carry them along like you're making fashion statement. :lol: Oh yeah, And ask a spider if he would rather just walk with two of his legs. :wink: :wink: :wink:
FIGHT ON

Re: Where is Rick?

Postby halhiker » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:17 pm

FIGHT ON wrote: Oh yeah, And ask a spider if he would rather just walk with two of his legs. :wink: :wink: :wink:

I would think a spider would rather swing by a thread (take a look overhead).
halhiker

Postby Perry » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:58 pm

halhiker wrote:I really don't use them except when traveling on snow.

Same here. Carrying them is annoying, but they are nice for snowshoeing (with large powder baskets) or steep alpine climbs. Not trails. And I don't like it when some people take up the entire width of the trail with their poles. For somebody with knee problems or carrying a large frame backpack, I can understand them using poles on trails if they're careful not to trip people.
Counting the days until October...
Perry
Site Admin

Postby FIGHT ON » Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:35 am

Perry wrote:
halhiker wrote:I really don't use them except when traveling on snow.

Same here. Carrying them is annoying, but they are nice for snowshoeing (with large powder baskets) or steep alpine climbs. Not trails. And I don't like it when some people take up the entire width of the trail with their poles. For somebody with knee problems or carrying a large frame backpack, I can understand them using poles on trails if they're careful not to trip people.

For those who run I can see using them would get in the way. I tried running with them :shock: :lol: for about 10 seconds, forget it. Anything less than 5 mph works well. And especially if you are carrying something. Like more than just your water and a day pack. I don't have bad knees, But eventually everybody is going to have them. I mean come on, let's face it, down hill stuff puts real impact on them. So I see using them as delaying the bad knee syndrome.

Perry wrote: And I don't like it when some people take up the entire width of the trail with their poles. For somebody with knee problems or carrying a large frame backpack, I can understand them using poles on trails if they're careful not to trip people.

Never heard of that. :lol: Somebody tripped you with a hiking stick? intentionally? come on.. maybe you mean unintentionally.
My experience with runners coming up from behind me is that they rarely make their presence known. If I was running and was about to pass a pole hiker I would well in advance let them know they are in the fast lane. If you try to pass someone with sticks that doesn't know you are about to fly by and trip on their pole then that's your fault. On the other hand if you do all that and they don't give you room then that's a different story. But you know almost everybody will yield if you are respectful. I don't like it when runners pass me w/o giving me a warning. Scares me to death! When they pass I yell "Man! Why don't you say something" same with mountain bikers.

One good thing I get out of not being forewarned is that it sure makes me think that if I can't even hear some dude pounding the trail or a mountain bike until they are beside me as they pass, then how ez a cougar would have it!
Talk about dead meat hiking!
FIGHT ON

Return to General Chat