Pike's Peak Ascent

Non-outdoors topics. News, sports, hobbies, politics, humor.

Pike's Peak Ascent

Postby Ellen » Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:30 am

Howdy All :-)

Next Saturday, I'll participate in the Pike's Peak Ascent. Although this is a running race, I hike it (due to mutliple lumbar and cervical spinal fusions). This will be my "hike" next Saturday and my tenth consecutive year. The ankle injury will increase the challenge :-)

Our own Grandmaster Perry has run the Pike's Peak marathon (held the day after the ascent) and finished in the top ten twice. In short, he's absolutely amazing.

About the race:

The course starts in Manitou Springs at (6,295 feet or 1,918 meters) and ends at the top of Pike's Peak (14,110 feet or 4,299 meters).
The distance is 13.32 miles and the net elevation gain is 7,815 feet 2,381 meters). The average elevation grade of the course is 11%.

I'll start at 7:30 AM in the 2nd wave. The first 1.7 miles are mostly on paved city streets. The course then connects to Barr Trail and follows Barr Trail to the summit of Pikes Peak.

For the next 3 miles to French Creek (4.3 mile mark and 8,800 ft), we traverse along the east face of Mount Manitou up switchbacks and steep grades. Being in the second wave, it's common to come to a complete halt at switchbacks due to the crowd. I tell myself these small breaks due to "rush-hour hiking" will pay off later.

Since this is a race, aid stations supply water and Gatorade Endurance. I just carry carbohydrate gels and obtain fluid at the aid stations. As a result, I can travel very light and hike faster than usual. The Barr trail is also in excellent condition -- much better footing than Mt. Whitney.

For the next 3 miles we traverse through evergreens over to Pikes Peak. The grades of this section are gentler and even include a couple of downhill sections. The end of this section is Barr Camp (7.6 mile mark and 10,200 ft).

On the 3 miles from Barr Camp to the A-Frame we again encounter steep grades and have to negotiate rocks and boulders along the trail. The final 3.1 miles or 5K from A-Frame (11,800 ft and 10.2 mile mark) to the summit (14,110) is entirely above tree line and the toughest portion of the course.

My most interesting experience on Pike's Peak was in 2005 -- the 50th anniversary of the race and my 7th year. When I hit the A-frame, dark clouds and the clap of thunder suggested the weather would throw other challenges our way in addition to the altitude and cumulative fatigue.

I was minimally dressed (running singlet and shorts) as I produce a lot of heat when I climb. In these conditions, I knew I had to keep moving to avoid hypothermia. The time between thunder claps decreased and the sky became darker. I didn't see lightening flashes, which was initially reassuring. Early on in this section, however, I was nearly blinded and deafened by thunder and lightening that hit high up in the rocks to the right of me.

It rained a little then stopped. At the last aid station, 1.5 miles from the top, we started getting pounded by hail. It felt like someone was throwing pebbles at us. In between the loud thunder claps, I could hear guys swearing. One kind fellow gave me a poncho that was as thin as the plastic bags for produce. Another generous man helped me put it on because my hands were so swollen. (I learned my lesson in 2005 and now carry a long-sleeve Patagonia shirt and gloves.)

Once the hail started, I think most people became more concerned about survival than their finish time. It grew progressively colder towards the top. We were pummeled by hail, staggering due to altitude, and slipping and sliding on the wet, icy, rocky trail. I alternated between keeping my hands under the poncho and pulling them out to support myself on rocks as we climbed. It was also difficult to see and navigate due to the weather. My heart went out to a volunteer who was jogging down carrying two bags of sweats for runners who were too cold to move.

I finally hit the final set of switchbacks (called the golden staircase) and crossed the finish line in 5 hours and 9 minutes. My friend Lynn (who finished in 4:36) and her husband Bruce (our guardian angel) grabbed me and we headed into the station house for the Cog railway so that I could put on my fleece outfit and warm up. We were stranded at the top until the snow plows could clear the road.

The inside of the station house looked like a refugee camp. Shivering runners were huddled together -- standing, sitting, and sprawled out everywhere. Bruce worked his way through the race carnage and brought back the last two hot chocolates and a bag of barbecued potato chips. The three of us shared the bag --best tasting chips I've ever had.

Once the plows arrived, we went outside and stood in a long line to catch a shuttle back to a spot off the road (Devil's Playground) where friends and families parked their cars. There was another line for people going back to the race start. The hail/snow had stopped and the sun came out. We waited. And waited. Two shuttles came and went, barely making a dent in the lines.

Finally we heard that another 40 shuttles were dispatched. It was organized chaos -- most waited patiently but some people cut out of line and sprinted for the shuttles. Families with children in shorts and sandals and exhausted athletes waited desperately. It started to hail/snow again as the extra shuttles came to our rescue.

We gratefully crowded in when it was our turn. I observed that I thought Hell was supposed to be warm. The shuttle driver summed up the day perfectly "Well folks, Mother Nature pissed in your Wheeties today."

Later that day, we learned that 200 runners were turned around at the A-frame due to the hazardous weather. These poor souls had to hike the 10 miles back down to Mannitou Springs.

My goal for this year is to finish without injury under the 6:30 cut off time.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

Postby Hikin_Jim » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:22 pm

And they say superheroes exist only in comic books. :D
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
Hikin_Jim

Postby KathyW » Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:48 pm

Ellen: How did the race go? I took the Cog Train up Pikes on Friday instead of trying to hike up the Barr Trail and taking the train down because it rained most of the day and it was also rainy on Saturday morning when I left Colorado Springs.

Kathy
KathyW

Postby whitneyfan » Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:47 pm

This sounds like a good "event" hike.
I'm looking for new alternatives to the usual So. California trails.
I've done most of the popular trails here and am getting bored of doing repeats.

Can you tell me how Pikes Peak compares in difficulty to the Whitney main trail or Vivian Creek?

I was considering Longs Peak this summer, but after researching, it seemed pretty dicey. I has a narrow winter weather window, and high frequency of storms. Not worth the commitment of time and money to get there, just to be turned away by unpredictable weather.
whitneyfan

Postby KathyW » Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:16 am

Longs Peak via the Keyhole Route is a long day, but not really technically difficult - some easy Class 3 after the boulder field. I'm finding that a pre-dawn start when hiking in Colorado during the summer avoids most of the afternoon storms. With Longs, I started at about 2 am (most of the climbers headed up Longs the same day I did it last August started sometime before dawn) - the trail is easy to follow in the dark with a headlamp/flashlight. You'll have the same issues with afternoon storms on Pikes Peak as on Longs.
KathyW

Postby Ellen » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:27 pm

Howdy All :-)

I guess I shouldn't have posted the story about the 2005 race -- the weather on the course was a piece of cake compared to this year.

My trip started with my ride to the airport forgetting to pick me up :-( Thanks to my sister, I was able to get to Ontario 45 minutes ahead of my flight and didn't have to leave my car. This was the first bad omen.

I had checked the predicted weather for the Saturday race. A 60% chance of rain and snow at the summit. It was raining when I arrived in Colorado Springs and didn't stop throughout the night. Hmm... not good.

Both waves started out in the rain (I was in the second wave). The temperature was in the low 50's. I started in shorts, quick dry tee-shirt, and my light-weight gortex jacket and hat. I carried gloves, a long sleeved Patagonia light-weight shirt, and medium-weight running tights that I purchased the day before at the expo.

I felt better than usual in the beginning of the climb due to the cool weather and continued to feel good as I climbed. Even after my misadventure in February, I still prefer cool weather. About half-way between Barr Camp and the A frame, unhappy runners started coming back down in droves. Due to weather conditions above tree-line, the decision was made to turn around everyone who reached the A frame after 10:15 AM. There was snow on the trail, it was raining, and the temperature was about 20 degrees with a 20 to 40 mph wind.

Since the second wave started at 7:30 AM, most of us were turned around. Some people turned around as soon as they heard the news, while others (including me) wanted to get to the A frame before calling it a day. I stopped at the A frame (10.2 miles and 11,800 ft) to put on all of my clothing before heading down. I started to shiver slightly due to the stop to don clothing.

I wasn't looking forward to descending 10 miles over wet, slippery rocks, water puddles, and mud without hiking boots and poles. I was wearing running shoes and feared for my injured ankle. I was also hoping that I could stay warm, since I can't run due to my ankle injury and spinal fusions. Someone was watching over me and I made it back to Barr Camp without incident. I said a prayer of thanks to my physical therapist Sylvia.

I took a few moments at Barr Camp to thank several El Paso county SAR members for watching out for us and commended the decision to end the race. The SAR and the volunteers at the aid stations would have been placed at great risk trying to rescue a horde of runners (~1,300) in the final 3.1 miles above tree-line. One SAR member said he wished that other runners felt the same way. They already had their hands full treating ill-prepared runners with hypothermia in the cabin at Barr Camp.

I kept an injured runner company for several miles between Barr Camp and Bob's aid-station where SAR could transport him off the mountain, then hooked up with several local guys for the final 5 mile walk back to Manitou Springs. Although we hadn't been able to summit, we rejoiced over the number of calories we'd expended and the amount of food we'd be able to consume :-)

I was quite happy to reach the Villa motel and downed left-over pizza from the night before and several Fat Tire beers before we headed to the Loop for Mexican food. The general consensus was that the 20 mile roundtrip was much harder than the Ascent. Only one-third of the participants reached the top -- most from the first wave. The race directors gave everyone who'd made Barr camp finisher jackets and medals. Looking at them will always bring back memories of the 2008 race.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen

PS Whitney Fan -- the Barr trail up Pike's Peak is in much better condition than either Whtiney or Vivian creek. Check out the race website:
www.pikespeakmarathon.org
Ellen

Return to General Chat