Mt. Whitney

Non-outdoors topics. News, sports, hobbies, politics, humor.

Mt. Whitney

Postby Ellen » Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:59 pm

On February 1 of this year, I mailed in an application to the Mt. Whitney lottery for a day hike. On February 2, I had a hiking misadventure on San Jacinto detailed in the post “Chillin’ with Ellen.” I owe a long overdue thanks to Hiking Jim for the story title and numerous section titles.

I received the permit in early April while I was still using the recumbent bike for aerobic training. I had only been walking with a cane for several weeks. To add to the irony, my permit was issued for Friday August 1 – nearly 6 months after the day that I broke and dislocated my ankle. Thanks to an excellent physical therapist, a bone growth stimulator, and the help of my hiking friends, I was able to complete enough hikes to feel prepared.

Karin, Lance and I arrived at the Eastern Sierra Agency to pick up the permit at 3 PM. The ranger assisting us looked perplexed by what he saw on the computer screen. (For a brief moment, I feared my name had been flagged due to my rescue). My reservation was cancelled because we had not picked up the permit by 12 PM the day before. Fortunately, the ranger found three open spaces and we were good to go. There’s nothing quite like an adrenalin surge the day before a big hike :-)

We checked into the Dow Villa and did our ritual “walk about” in Lone Pine before having Mexican food at the Bonanza. Lance wanted an early start to get a jump on the heat, so we got up at 0 dark thirty (2:30 AM) and hit the trail a bit after 4 AM. The sky started to lighten around 5 AM. I would have preferred more daylight to cross the logs encountered about an hour in as I’m clumsy and have lousy eyesight.

I always enjoy the section from Lone Pine lake to Mirror lake. Once above tree-line, however, traversing the rocks on the way to Trail camp becomes “mind numbing” (to use Lance’s words). I was happy to see more water in the streams and waterfall compared to last year. We took a brief rest at Trail camp and then headed up the dreaded switchbacks for the sublime vistas at Trail Crest.

No matter how many times I climb Whitney and regardless of my level of fitness, this mountain is always a challenge. I pretended that I was Carlos Sastre climbing the fearsome Alp D’Huez in the Tour de France. It seems to take forever to see that blasted metal hut. I felt overcome with joy and gratitude when I signed in, then realized that I couldn’t cry and breathe at the same time. I marveled at being alive and felt blessed to share this experience with Karin (her first Whitney) and Lance.

The ankle mercifully held up on the descent. There were a few scary moments where I glissaded over scree (the song “Slip Sliding Away” kept playing in my head) but by some miracle I stayed on my feet. We rested at the meadow underneath the waterfall to recharge our batteries for the hike down the “mind numbing” section to Mirror lake. I rejoiced when we passed Lone Pine lake for the final descent to the portal. Although I enjoy this part of the trail (it doesn’t require too much concentration and is fairly gentle on tired feet), it goes on without end. I said an audible “thank God” to the amusement of fellow hikers when we reached the trail head.

Thanks to everyone on this board for your support and encouragement -- you were with me on Whitney.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

Return to General Chat