Skyline Trail /c2c in September and October

General Palm Springs area.

Postby RV » Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:56 am

We'll be there; should be 2 of us. We're looking forward to meeting you!
RV

Postby wingding » Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:11 pm

An early start sounds good to me. I hope I'm ready for it.
wingding

Oct 14 hike

Postby mark2812 » Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:25 pm

I read here that a group may leave at 12:30am on Oct 14th. I would like to join. What is the best sleep schedule the day of and day before for a 12:30am departure?
mark2812

Postby Cy Kaicener » Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:46 pm

Mark - Your best bet is to get all the sleep you can on Friday afternoon and evening. No late night the night before either. Now I am beginning to sound like someones mother. If not, then you can get light headed on the trail and on the drive back home.
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
http://cys-hiking-adventures.blogspot.com
Cy Kaicener

Postby Yichus » Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:17 pm

Hi,

I’m casting a wide net to try to get two more leaders for the hike. You are included on this email list because I think you are a likely prospect, or you have expressed interest in the hike.

We need to postpone the date for the hike by one week due to tram maintenance. It will now be on Fri. the 13th!

Oct 6-7 Fri-Sat Hundred Peaks, Palos Verdes – South Bay, Natural Science

O: Palm Springs Tram (8450’), Mt San Jacinto (10804’) Moonlight Hike: Strenuous hike for tigers only, 10 mi, 8300’ gain to tram with additional 10 mi rt, 2400’ gain to the peak. We’ll start hiking before midnight Friday. We’ll have two groups, one SJ bound and the other naturalizing at a more relaxed pace. Bring money for tram ride and taxi back to cars. Send email (preferable – bholchin@cox.net) or sase with carpool info, cond/exper to Ldr: BARRY HOLCHIN. Co-Ldrs: TONY TRULL, KENT SCHWITKIS, SHERRY ROSS.

Kent and Sherry can’t make the new date, so I need one leader willing to hold back with me and another willing and able to hike with the faster group, hopefully attaining the summit. As always, we’ll all start out together, and split up after a few thousand feet of gain. There’ll be plenty of time, so I like to keep the group together for the early part of the hike.

We’ll be leaving the trailhead about 11:45 pm, and the advance group should get to the summit and back to the tram by about 6:00 pm Sat., assuming everything goes well. Last year, 13 made it to the summit!

The slower paced, naturalizing group should make it to the tram by about 10:00 am, assuming the sweep (me by that time) can make it up at that blinding speed.

If you’re able to help out by co-leading, please let me know asap. Any of you who’d like to just join us, please send me recent conditioning info, carpool data (phone #, city, ride or drive), and any medical concerns of which we should be aware (e.g. diabetes, allergies, chronic injuries/pain, etc.).

I’d like to send in a revised write-up so it can be put out on the web asap.

Thanks.

Barry
Yichus

Postby Cy Kaicener » Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:24 pm

I just heard from the Barry Holchin at the Sierra Club that they postponed their c2c hike for a week because of the tram closure and I volunteered to help with their own group leaving at midnight on the 14th. We should have a lot of people. I estimate taking eight hours to the tram. So far we have one car at Humber Park near Idyllwild on the 7th.
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
Cy Kaicener

Postby wingding » Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:26 am

Cy -

Are you still planning on October 28th?

Kathy
wingding

Skyline on October 28

Postby Cy Kaicener » Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:30 pm

Kathy - I am still going on October 28 with RV and yourself. We will leave the museum around 3.30 am. Is that time suitable?
Cy Kaicener

Postby wingding » Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:19 pm

Cy: 3:30 is fine with me.

I don't think RV is going. He posted this on another thread:

It's looking like we will probably do this trail on the 14th as well with a goal of going all the way to the peak this time. Cy, I know you stay in touch with this board and will read this post. We were planning on going up with you on the 28th but I just found out that I will be traveling to Singapore that day so we will not be able to make it.

I would expect that we will begin somewhere around 3:00 or 4:00 AM. We have hiked this trail before with headlamps and it is very easy to follow.

We look forward to meeting some of you!

RV
wingding

Skyline on October 28

Postby Cy Kaicener » Sun Sep 24, 2006 3:55 am

Its getting harder to keep track of everyone. Thanks for letting me know.
I posted a thread about the Pacific Crest Trail on Miscellaneous Et Cetera which should be of interest to people on this board.
Cy Kaicener

PreviousNext

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains