Skyline Trail /c2c in September and October

General Palm Springs area.

Skyline trail/c2c in October

Postby Cy Kaicener » Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:53 am

Zippedydude - My guess is that my group was close to Long Valley at that time.
Brian - Your time was awesome, and Zippedydude also. With this kind of weather an early start is not so important.
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
http://cys-hiking-adventures.blogspot.com
Cy Kaicener

Postby turtle » Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:13 am

A quick thanks for all who've posted in this thread. The advice (particularly the encouraging words about the weather) was very helpful to our group of three first time CC'ers.

We left the Museum at 4:00am, reached the tram just before 10:00am, summitted at 1:15pm, and returned to the tram at 3:30pm.

Weather low down on the route was fantastic. Generally clear sky, cool with just a slight breeze. Midway up the route, just before sunrise, it became a bit chillier, barely still warm enough (in my book) for hiking in shorts and t-shirt. We finally picked up some cloud cover above 6000 feet, and for a short time it seemed it would begin to rain. The tram thermometer reported 38 degrees. Between tram and summit, it was generally still nice, with patchy sunshine. Between around 9750 and the summit, however, was fairly well socked in. The summit was quite blustery, with the temperature right around freezing and a coating of rime beginning on the more exposed of the stunted pines.

We saw quite a few folks enroute...

- A solo hiker with trail-running-style gear (hip belt, two water bottles) passed us perhaps 500 feet above the museum at an impressive clip. Perhaps that was zippetydude?

- We passed a group of two somewhere around 3000 feet.

- We passed a well spread out cluster of five (not certain it was one group) at around 5000 feet.

All in all a great day. Thanks again for all the great info you've put forth on this board!
turtle

Postby bcox » Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:17 am

Cy-
Tried to break 4:00 but ended up at 4:30. I'd like to say that 4 liters of water, foul-weather kit, and having to backtrack twice to make sure I was on route were the reasons. The reality is that my lungs and legs just didn't have anymore in them! Overall, the best part was watcing the sun coming up - very nice. I understnad why the C2C is one of your favorite trails. Any other recommendations for similar type routes?
Brian
bcox

Skyline in October

Postby Cy Kaicener » Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:54 pm

Brian - There is no other trail like this, but Iron Mountain (near Baldy) from Heaton Flats or the Bear Canyon trail to Baldy from Baldy Village are good hikes. The worst part is coming back.
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
Cy Kaicener

Postby wingding » Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:17 pm

If you like tough desert hikes and want to travel north a bit - Mount Inyo and Keynot in the Inyos would be good hikes. I've only done Inyo so far.
wingding

Postby zippetydude » Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:34 pm

Hey bcox, if you had fun here, you might enjoy San Gorgonio as a round trip. It's more distance, but the time is not all that different. From South Fork and Vivian, your times will be and hour or so shorter getting to the top, but somehow I like San G better (as far as terrain) but prefer C2C with regard to absolute physical demand. When all is said and done, if I do either one on a Saturday morning, I revel in it like a pig in mud for the rest of the weekend. I once did a trip from San Bernardino Peak out of Angelus Oaks across the ridge to San G, then back. I loved every minute of it, and for weeks afterward when I looked up at the entire range from down in Redlands or over in BigBear, I would think 'Whoa! I went across that entire range!" and relive the fun all over again.

But, back to the matter at hand, If you and some other of the guys who like to press for speed would like to start at the same time one Saturday, we could have a pretty cohesive group that will bust up the mountain at good speed. My best speed is just barely in the 3 hour range, but my normal time is from 4 to to 4 1/2. We'd probably well paired.

Congrats on your trip. Each time up is an accomplishment.

z
zippetydude

Skyline trail in October

Postby Cy Kaicener » Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:18 am

I will wave as you shoot past me. I will start at about 3.30 or 4.00 am
Kathy - I agree with your recommendation. Coming down the scree slope after Inyo and Keynot is the best part - no endless switchbacks. :)
Last edited by Cy Kaicener on Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cy Kaicener

Postby THETRACK » Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:47 am

..Good AM to all........We were the group of 5 spread out on the trail. Left Ramone at 220am and hit Tram at 10am.....Hit the Summit two hours later..Weather at Ranger station at 1030am registered 32 for us....It was the coldest for me on this hike.....the best weather however for the first portion.....very cool and clear.....It did snow on us at the 9000 ft mark...not to bad however, met Brian who was motoring by on his great time.....Met some Cy'ers at the Station on the ride down...said you werent feeling well....hope your better soon..........congrats to all that finished......as usual, when done.....it feels like a great accomplishemnt.....have agreat day to all........Lyle
THETRACK

Postby bcox » Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:25 pm

Zippety Dude,
This weekend is out - I'm volunteering at the San Diego 100 trail run. The following two weekends are tough - wife's baby shower and family plans in town - but let me see if I can break free... Otherwise, maybe the weekend of Nov. 10th - weather permitting?

Lyle,
Congrats on the summit! Was that your 4th time for C2C? Awesome....

Cy,
Thanks for the recommendations on the other routes. I'll look at some maps and then undoubetdly have more questions if you don't mind.

Brian
bcox

Postby wingding » Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:49 pm

Cy - there's nothing like a good scree ski :)
wingding

PreviousNext

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains