Any Helpful Tips???

General Palm Springs area.

Any Helpful Tips???

Postby newbie » Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:52 pm

I'm a beginner hiker - trying to get back in shape and back into exercising after double knee surgery 3 years ago. I finally am able to hike without intense swelling and knee pain within an hour of starting!! (yay!)

So... I am looking for any tips and helpful advice from avid hikers (which you all seem to be) about how to start getting into hiking again, which hikes in the Palm Desert/Palm Springs areas are helpful for building up to bigger hikes down the road, or just hiking tips in general that will help me!

Thanks in advance for the help!

Judie

New Hiker

Postby Snowhiker » Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:53 pm

The best advice I could give you is: TAKE IT EASY. Don't set any goals on how far/high/fast you hike. Don't think you "have to make the peak" or get to the top (or end) at all costs. You end being way too tired and sore and you will NOT enjoy yourself.

If you don't have time for a hike, walk. Even if you just walk around the block, it all helps you get into better physical shape.

I used to backpack (10+ years ago) with a friend that could carry a 50 lb. pack up ANY trail without stopping, ever. While I was (relative to him) in BAD shape and was huffing and puffing and not enjoying the outdoors. A lot of people on this board talk about the 10,000+' elevation gain of the Cactus-to-Clouds hike, but don't feel you have to "bag" that hike anytime soon, or EVER.

If I were you and lived in the Palm Springs area, I'd buy one of those yearly passes ($120 if I remember) for the Tram and just go up there every chance I got and spend an hour or two up in the mountains. Pass pays for itself in 6 trips.

Hike to enjoy the outdoors, get some fresh air, get away from civilization, get a bit of exercise, clear the mind of everyday problems and refresh yourself.

There is lots of advice on the who/what/where/when/why/how of hiking, but the most important things are to simply to GET STARTED. Have fun. Go easy. Keep going. Never stop.
Snowhiker

Postby IGOHIKN » Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:24 pm

Join outdoorsclub.org. You'll have your choice of lots of events to get you back into shape. You'll meet new people and try new activities.
Outdoorsclub.org check it out.
IGOHIKN

Postby marmot » Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:48 pm

the outdoors club is awesome
marmot

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains