Top of Tram to Idyllwild

General Palm Springs area.

Top of Tram to Idyllwild

Postby amateurhiker » Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:18 pm

The husband and I are interested in doing a one-way hike from the Top of the Tram to Idyllwild. I have a friend meeting us in Idyllwild to drive us from there, but just wanted to check with all you "experts" to see what the best/easiest trail to take would be. I've heard it's only about 10.5 miles and not too strenuous.

Thanks for any help in advance! :lol:
amateurhiker

Tram to Idyllwild

Postby AsABat » Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:09 pm

IMO, best and easiest are two different trails. Easiest would be south from the tram over Hidden Lake Divide and down to Saddle Junction and Devils Slide. Best is a matter of opinion, but the easiest best would be from the tram to Round Valley and up to Wellman Divide and then south to Saddle Junction and Devils Slide. This second option would have more elevation gain.

Other possibilities would go over San Jacinto Peak before dropping to Idyllwild, but that would be more miles.
AsABat

Postby Pilgrim » Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:35 am

If keeping it easy is important, then you want to head south to Willow Creek in the federal wilderness. From there it is slightly uphill to Saddle Junction as you pass Skunk Cabbage Meadow and then down hill to Idylwild. This is a an enjoyable hike. The only miserable part is the hike down devil's slide trail as it is mercilessly exposed to the sun in the afternoon.

A slightly harder way(several hundred feet of additional elevation gain) is to go to Round Valley and up to Wellmen's divide and then down to Saddle Junction. Other then Round Valley itself or the view from Wellmen's Divide, the hike down to Willow Creek and over to Saddle Junction is far more enjoyable.

What ever you do, make sure you get a wilderness permit. There is usually a ranger at Saddle Junction who checks them.
"So we are probably about where this pebble is, 2 inches off the edge of the map."
Pilgrim

Trails

Postby amateurhiker » Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:50 pm

Thanks for the input so far! Are the trails you're mentioning well-marked? Having never been there before, I'm a little worried about getting lost.
amateurhiker

Postby Pilgrim » Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:24 pm

The trails are well marked. But I would always recommend getting a map of the area so you know the landmarks they are referring you to.
"So we are probably about where this pebble is, 2 inches off the edge of the map."
Pilgrim

Map

Postby amateurhiker » Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:14 am

Where do you suggest the best place to get an accurate map would be that would be easy to read/follow by an amateur hiker such as myself? :)
amateurhiker

Park Map

Postby BobM » Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:23 pm

The State Park website has a good map of the San Jacinto Wilderness on its website, with mileage distances between points. It can be found at:

http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=636

Under Brochures/Maps, select Park Map.
BobM

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains