PCT Hiker Separated from Backpack in Apache Fire, Needs Help

General Palm Springs area.

PCT Hiker Separated from Backpack in Apache Fire, Needs Help

Postby Hikin_Jim » Sat May 10, 2008 2:45 pm

One of the guys in the Sierra Club passed this to me last night (see below). Apparently Philippa's backpack is at the Idyllwild Ranger Station (Federal?), and she needs help getting reunited with it. Thought maybe someone local could help out. Definitely email her first in case she's already found someone to help.

HJ

I am hoping that some generous thru or trail angel near
Idyllwild can help me out -- hopefully I can return the
favor sometime. Here is my dilemma. I was in the group
that had to exit quickly from the PCT when the Apache Peak
fire started. In my haste I left my pack on the ridge --
in hindsight I would make a different decision but at the
time I just wanted to get out fast. It luckily survived
the fire and the forest service brought it down to the
Idyllwild Ranger Station. They won't mail it to me, so I
need some help to get it back to Seattle, where I live. If
someone is in Idlyllwild with time you could pack it up and
send it USPS from there, and I could pay you back.
Unfortunately they won't bill me or do COD. The other
possibility is if someone has a car they could take it to
the UPS or FedEx store in Hemet and the mail store people
could package it up and send it. In that case I can pay
the mail store directly for the mailing.

If someone would do this for me I would be eternally
grateful, and you are hiking in Washington later this
summer, I will be your personal trail angel. Rides into
town, a steak dinner delivered to the trailhead of your
choice, whatever would be helpful I'd be happy to do it.

Thanks,
Philippa
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
User avatar
Hikin_Jim
 
Posts: 4958
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:12 pm
Location: Orange County, CA

Postby Hikin_Jim » Tue May 13, 2008 1:17 pm

OK, Philippa is taken care of. You missed a free steak dinner. :)

Thanks so much for the offer! Someone picked the pack up and mailed it to me yesterday. I received so many offers of help it was a really nice thing. What a generous community hikers are! Thanks again.

Philippa
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
User avatar
Hikin_Jim
 
Posts: 4958
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:12 pm
Location: Orange County, CA


Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 4 guests