Stranded Backpacker Rescued on Skyline Trail last Monday

General Palm Springs area.

Postby Cy Kaicener » Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:55 am

A stranded backpacker was rescued on the Skyline trail last Monday. His name was Justin and the rescuers got there just in time.
http://www.rmru.org/missions/2006/2006-020.html
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
http://cys-hiking-adventures.blogspot.com
Cy Kaicener

Postby marmot » Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:42 pm

its amazing that people go up this time of year....especially with the intent of backpacking.

the man also mustve been totally exhausted, being that he was only a half- mile (maybe base of the coffmans crag), only a few dozen switchbacks below the forested platuea. Its pretty obvious from there where the top is. the tram and its station being visible and close enough to touch. It seems like the last 2 miles is where most, if not all the rescues take place on the skyline. and it seems like somewhere right near coffmans crag. i guess its easy to get lost, but i found the trail pretty straightforward to long valley from the flat slick rock. I do remember the trail crossing steep slopes (but forested) on the last mile. And after crossing these slopes, coffmans crag, home free right?
marmot

Postby Cy Kaicener » Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:54 am

Its hard to believe anyone would need help right at Coffmans Crag which is only 500 ft from Long Valley. He must have lost the trail and dropped a little bit below where he should have been. Most people call for rescue between Flat Rock and the traverse before the three gullies. I remember some other backpackers calling for help a little before Flatrock. A heavy pack can do anyone in and exhaust them. The best way is to go fast and light.
Here are some interesting comments made on Summitpost
http://www.summitpost.org/phpBB2/viewto ... 253#261253
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
http://cys-hiking-adventures.blogspot.com
Cy Kaicener

Postby marmot » Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:21 pm

and i almost called for help about 2 miles from the flatrock, i was experiencing killer spasms literally in the middle of the trail, the cramps were that bad from 4000-5000 feet, and at 5000 feet, i ultimately decided to turnearound and this close from calling for a rescue. the last 2000 feet down were exhausting, in very hot temperatures. at one point, i got off the main route, at the picnic tables actually, at that point i wanted down so badly that from the picnic tables, i walked literrally straight down the steep desert slope right into palm springs, and went for the closest building (road) i could find, and it happened to a house. I collapsed on the middle of the dirt road, almost dead (literally). i had absolutely no energy to walk to the museum from there, so i just called my ride to pick me up. I did see a chuckawalla lizard! a nice cacti on the way up.
I brought enough water on the trail, the temperatures were in the 90s going up, but i simply wasnt in shape and i completly underestimated the difficulty. and i shouldve turned around earlier. it just became too hot and exhausting

This is not like any of the trails that ive been on in SoCal, this is different (epic) and much harder. everything is long and far and strenuous. dont fool with the skyline.
marmot

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:26 am

Knowing the trail is so key, there are plenty of books and online resources that map out the trail and give plenty of tips for those who have never done it before. I think that is a huge key to success on the skyline. I wonder if this guy knew how close he was, and if he knew that he only had a half mile to go would he have pressed on?

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains