Giardia Warning!

General Palm Springs area.

Giardia Warning!

Postby Perry » Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:25 pm

Today I spoke with somebody who got giardia from the Round Valley faucet. (He did not eat at the old restaurant. :D ) The last time the state park cleaned out the tank there were rats in there, so that makes sense that even though it's an "underground source" there is giardia which is normally present in above-ground sources. A lot of people, including myself, have taken that water straight without purifying, but apparently they put that warning sign there for good reason.
Last edited by Perry on Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Perry
Site Admin

Postby zippetydude » Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:20 pm

Ew.

z
zippetydude

Postby Perry » Sun Aug 13, 2006 4:46 pm

I found out today that the state park recently cleaned it out this summer. Once again, there were rats in there. Less chance now, but they will be back.... On the way back from the summit I hung out in Round Valley, but used iodine tablets this time.
Perry
Site Admin

Postby guest » Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:25 pm

Yeah, those rats used to be a great sourse for the soup for the "old buffet'!
At least they won't spike your blood sugar, and giradia is a great weigh-loss plan!

ss

Tank?

Postby Snowhiker » Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:51 am

Can someone explain the tank/faucet setup in Round Valley? I always thought that the pipe was just "stuck in the ground" and was fed by an underground spring.

Is the tank buried under ground or aboveground nearby? How far from the faucet? Does the tank have a top? How do rats get inside?
Snowhiker

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains