First Tram UP

General Palm Springs area.

First Tram Up

Postby Cy Kaicener » Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:02 pm

Marmot - Mt Williamson (14375 ft) is 27 miles rt from the Sheppards Pass approach. It will be a challenge to acclimatise to high elevation in one day. Maybe Diamox would help. Two guys I know Jack and Quang also plan on doing it next year in one day.
You are lucky to have school near the High Sierras.
I will be doing c2c with the Sierra Club on the first Saturay in October starting from the museum just after midnight.
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
http://cys-hiking-adventures.blogspot.com
Cy Kaicener

Postby zippetydude » Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:12 am

Marmot: If you'd like to see both Clouds Rest and Half Dome, consider starting from Tenaya and you'll go past both on the way to the valley floor. The only tricky part is getting back up to Tenaya - I had a friend pick me up this year. Next year, I'll probably go back up the other side on foot, but it was fun this way too.

Starting from Tenaya means you're going downhill or level a lot of the way: I got to Clouds Rest in an hour and change, then was at the top of Half Dome in about 3 hours - that downhill really makes it fast. Of course, you'll want to hang out at the top of Half Dome for a while - and it's nice early in the day because there is hardly anybody there.

The rock stairs going down past Nevada and Vernal falls are kinda rough on the knees, though. Still, some amazing views and it doesn't take all that long - figure about 5-6 hours if you're running (plus time for relaxing and enjoying the views).

z
zippetydude

Previous

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains