First Tram UP

General Palm Springs area.

First Tram UP

Postby OBS » Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:59 am

Planning on taking tram up next Saturday for a day-hike.
Question is regarding how crowded the first tram of the day is, and what time would anyone recommend being there?
The Tramway site is down for a couple days, so not much info there.
Thanks for any help.
Chad
OBS

Postby Scramblemann » Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:14 am

First tram up is 8AM on weekends and holidays. Its usually far from full; a few park rangers, a few tram employees, and a few paying patrons on it . I've gotten there at 7:15am and the lower tram building lobby has been open (a lot cooler inside the building this time of year, even at 8AM!).

Check their site later this week. They shut down for 1-2 weeks of scheduled maintenance each year. I believe its in September, but it may have changed in recent years to August.
Scramblemann

Thanks Scrambleman.

Postby OBS » Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:09 pm

Good news. Sounds like the 8am tram is possible.
OBS

Scheduled maintenance

Postby Cy Kaicener » Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:51 am

Scheduled maintenance is September 11th this year. It will be closed for 18 days unless they change it.
The first tram was full today. On other Saturdays its only half full.
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
http://cys-hiking-adventures.blogspot.com
Cy Kaicener

Re: Scheduled maintenance

Postby OBS » Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:58 am

Cy Kaicener wrote:The first tram was full today. On other Saturdays its only half full.

I was surprised how crowded it was early Saturday. Very busy, especially on the way back down from the summit.
Glad we got there early (7:15).
Overall, a fun day.
OBS

Postby zippetydude » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:08 am

They shut down the website, or they shut down the tram?

z
zippetydude

Palm Springs tramway

Postby Cy Kaicener » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:22 am

The website is working now. The tram will be closed tomorrow and Friday for maintenance. I dont know if this changes the September 11 closure.
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
Cy Kaicener

Postby zippetydude » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:57 am

Yipes, I'm glad you guys mentioned that.

I'd hate to get to the top, only to have to turn around and go back down. It wouldn't kill me, but it would be a lot of banging on the feet, ankles and knees that would sure increase recovery time.

I'll start checking the website each time before I go from now on, as I doubt they post the tram closure at the Skyline trailhead behind the museum!

z
zippetydude

Tramway hours

Postby Cy Kaicener » Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:19 pm

Six people that I know of are hiking Skyline this Sunday at 5 am. I think they are starting too late, but each to their own.
Another way of checking if the tram is running is to check the closed gates at the bottom of the road. If they are closed for maintenance they attach a Closed For Maintenance sign right on the gate.
Cy Kaicener

Postby marmot » Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:14 pm

heh...im kinda jealous, im leaving for school on saturday, so i wont have the chance to do the skyline again until october, i'll let you know Cy. And hopefully hike it two or three times over christmas+spring break. Im looking forward to doing Badwater to Telescope Peak the weekend of the 6th though.
The closest major hike to my school is half dome, which i have hiked once before, it took me a little over 3 hours to make the top, I took the long way to save the knees. but its an okay trail (too crowdy, dusty and sandy), maybe i'll combine half dome and clouds rest or something, just to make the day full.
One hike that i would love to do is Mt. Williamson via Sheppard Pass in one day. Its another one of those 14ers.
marmot

Next

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains