Every Day in Every Way, Things Are Getting Better!

General Palm Springs area.

Every Day in Every Way, Things Are Getting Better!

Postby cynthia23 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:42 am

I can hardly believe it, but a trek up Skyline yesterday to 5000 feet only yielded two pieces of trash: a cliff bar wrapper and a plastic bottle. There were hardly even any wads of T.P. What's going on here? I doubt that my constant hectoring has finally breached the dark, papery hearts and minds of the Littering Community. Instead, I actually have the impression that fewer people are hiking Skyline this year--as opposed to last year. I'm curious if others on this board also have this impression? IMHO the infamous article in Backpacker Magazine caused a big upsurge in trail usage, which now seems to be dying down to a more manageable level. Of course, maybe my (unusual) optimism is too soon, since the late spring/melting of the ice will obviously bring many more people, and their trash, onto the trail. But I do have the impression that even last winter, there were many more people and much more trash ...

btw, I also was heartened yesterday when we passed a group of kids below the picnic tables. They were dressed for a long hike, but assured me they wouldn't dream of going past a few thousand feet, as "they didn't have crampons, and knew you had to have them." Although it may seem at times, with the constant rescues, that the safety messages/warnings are going into thin air, it's possible this board and others like them are reaching more people than we think, and starting to have some effect.

Okay. That's enough positivity for one week! I now return to my regular paranoia!

Curious to hear other's comments, though, on the Skyline usage issue?
Q: How many therapists does it take to screw in a light bulb? A: Only one, but the light bulb has to want to change ...
cynthia23
 
Posts: 1289
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:33 pm
Location: Rancho Mirage

Postby Perry » Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:59 am

The upper section is definitely unpopular right now. If it's cold, you are really f'd without crampons and ice axe. I think a lot of people are going up the lower section and turning around.
"And he knows those computers better than anybody, all those computers, those vote-counting computers. And we ended up winning Pennsylvania like in a landslide, so, it was pretty good, it was pretty good, so thank you to Elon!"
-Donald Trump
User avatar
Perry
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1525
Joined: Mon May 08, 2006 6:01 pm
Location: Palm Springs, CA

Re: Every Day in Every Way, Things Are Getting Better!

Postby Marknhj » Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:13 pm

cynthia23 wrote:
Okay. That's enough positivity for one week! I now return to my regular paranoia!


Before deciding to get serious and learn from those more experienced, I was paranoid about: sliding down a snow chute, being stuck up there at night or getting lost.

Now, after hiking with c23 for two months, I'm also paranoid about: being jumped by a mountain lion, bitten by a rattlesnake, bitten by a snake (misc), boulder crashing on my head, dehydration despite drinking 3l of water, starvation, 1st degree sunburn, attacked by serial killer with ice axe, set on by pack of wild dogs, altitude sickness, eaten by starving coyotes, hallucinations, tripping on descent and taking her out, various plants and flowers (poisoned and/or impaled), swarmed by killer bees, blisters, big one on San Andreas, blown off by wind, losing car keys, self-amputation of limb, my trash blowing away, no room in back pack for trash she finds and stows on me..........there are probably a few more :)
Marknhj
 
Posts: 179
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:03 pm
Location: Palm Springs

Re: Every Day in Every Way, Things Are Getting Better!

Postby AlanK » Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:16 pm

Marknhj wrote:Now, after hiking with c23 for two months, I'm also paranoid about: being jumped by a mountain lion, bitten by a rattlesnake, bitten by a snake (misc), boulder crashing on my head, dehydration despite drinking 3l of water, starvation, 1st degree sunburn, attacked by serial killer with ice axe, set on by pack of wild dogs, altitude sickness, eaten by starving coyotes, hallucinations, tripping on descent and taking her out, various plants and flowers (poisoned and/or impaled), swarmed by killer bees, blisters, big one on San Andreas, blown off by wind, losing car keys, self-amputation of limb, my trash blowing away, no room in back pack for trash she finds and stows on me..........there are probably a few more :)

What about total protonic reversal? ("Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.") Of course you can avoid that by not crossing the streams. :D
User avatar
AlanK
 
Posts: 855
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 7:31 am
Location: Glendale, CA

Re: Every Day in Every Way, Things Are Getting Better!

Postby Marknhj » Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:36 pm

AlanK wrote:What about total protonic reversal? ("Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.") Of course you can avoid that by not crossing the streams. :D


You know, I think she mentioned that!

I should have added: being kidnapped by the occupants of a strange, windowless house, adjacent to a trail head in North Palm Springs. Imprisoned and experimented on for years, in all probability... :shock:
Marknhj
 
Posts: 179
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:03 pm
Location: Palm Springs

Re: Every Day in Every Way, Things Are Getting Better!

Postby tinaballina » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:10 am

Now, after hiking with c23 for two months, I'm also paranoid about: being jumped by a mountain lion, bitten by a rattlesnake, bitten by a snake (misc), boulder crashing on my head, dehydration despite drinking 3l of water, starvation, 1st degree sunburn, attacked by serial killer with ice axe, set on by pack of wild dogs, altitude sickness, eaten by starving coyotes, hallucinations, tripping on descent and taking her out, various plants and flowers (poisoned and/or impaled), swarmed by killer bees, blisters, big one on San Andreas, blown off by wind, losing car keys, self-amputation of limb, my trash blowing away, no room in back pack for trash she finds and stows on me..........there are probably a few more :)[/quote]

You forgot one: driving your car to the museum parking lot, that could be fatal as well....lol
User avatar
tinaballina
 
Posts: 1107
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:21 am
Location: Riverside

Postby cynthia23 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:53 am

You know, this is going to blow you all away, but the one thing I actually don't worry about is rattlesnakes. I don't know why, because I've certainly seen them out there, but they just aren't very aggressive, and I feel largely unconcerned about the possibility of meeting my death via rattlesnake toxin. On the other hand ... this protonic reversal thing sounds seriously concerning. I think we need a separate post of this very worrisome topic ....
Q: How many therapists does it take to screw in a light bulb? A: Only one, but the light bulb has to want to change ...
cynthia23
 
Posts: 1289
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:33 pm
Location: Rancho Mirage

Postby AlanK » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:58 am

cynthia23 wrote:this protonic reversal thing sounds seriously concerning. I think we need a separate post of this very worrisome topic ....

Here is an article that deals with this serious subject.
User avatar
AlanK
 
Posts: 855
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 7:31 am
Location: Glendale, CA

Postby cynthia23 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:05 pm

Thank you AlanK! I will read it promptly and get fearfully back to you all to report on ways we can cope/brood on this new threat. ...
Q: How many therapists does it take to screw in a light bulb? A: Only one, but the light bulb has to want to change ...
cynthia23
 
Posts: 1289
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:33 pm
Location: Rancho Mirage

Postby Marknhj » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:23 pm

Warning: The curse of c23

Less than 24 hours after my post above, this morning we set out on a short jaunt to the warning sign at 1700'. I made it to the museum parking lot without incident, but on arrival, and while waiting for the late c23 (NB not expired en route, just late), I discovered my CamelBak half full of water. I stuffed some of it's sodden contents into my pockets, including my car keys. About 3/4's of the way to the picnic tables I noticed the pocket was empty. No car keys. We headed down and immediately met a guy who said he'd placed them on a rock, "...near the bottom". I jogged almost all the way back down, then walked back up at a very brisk pace. I was encouraged by c23, perched on a rock about half way up with, "...hurry up, I've got things to do today".

So, be very careful what you post here............

btw - I've thought of one more thing - ticks and West Nile disease. Never would have occurred to me...
Marknhj
 
Posts: 179
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:03 pm
Location: Palm Springs

Next

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 6 guests