my friend and i: skyline trail

General Palm Springs area.

my friend and i: skyline trail

Postby marmot » Sun Jul 23, 2006 3:20 pm

my college friend and i are doing the skyline sometime in late july. we are hiking throughout the night (starting at 10:00 pm) from the museum. Hopefully we wont need to be rescued due to exhaustion, heat, dehydration or all of the above. I dont think we sleep that day prior... :shock: so im a little hesistant, he did San Gorgonio in 6 hours to the top though so i think he'll make it.

Is anybody else going up this summer still?

oh and im going to the sierra this weekend, climbing dragon peak from onion valley!
marmot

Postby Guest » Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:58 pm

Marmot, there was a thread here not long ago where several people said they tried Skyline with no sleep and it went badly. I've never done it that way, but it may take some of the fun out of it.

Also, if you leave at 10, and are on a 6 hour pace, won't that leave you at the top for 4 hours waiting around for the tram at 8:00 a.m.?

z

Postby TRumble24 » Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:51 pm

Mamot- GET SLEEP! If at all possible get sleep. The first time I did it I had no sleep and it was so hard! The 1st half or so was ok, but by sunrise I was sitting on flat rock pretty much hating being alive because I was so tired.

The 2nd time I did it on 2 hours sleep and it was better, but I would still reccomend getting a full session of sleep before you hike, it will make it much more enjoyable.

I love doing the trail at night though thats a definate good idea, especially if it's a bright moon, so beautiful...
TRumble24

Postby Perry » Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:24 pm

Hey Tim, how did everything go with the big fire? Hope all is well.
-Perry
Perry
Site Admin

Postby TRumble24 » Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:51 am

Everything is fine, thanks for asking. The firefighters stopped the fire at the base of the hills that are about 1/2 mile off of the back my parents house, they are amazing human beings. Now we just have to worry about floods and mudflows when it starts to rain...haha. Thats the price you pay for living close to the wilderness. Thanks for your conern!
TRumble24

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains