San Jacinto first week of May

General Palm Springs area.

San Jacinto first week of May

Postby nobohobo » Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:03 am

Hello,

I'll be hiking northbound on the P.C.T. this year and will be going over San Jacinto around the first week of May. Based on the present conditions and weather patterns, will i need to carry crampons, can i get by without any traction devices? My thought is that I'll carry them instead of an ice axe because the axe won't do me any good if i can't get traction. I'm used to snow travel and have no problems on steep hillsides. I'll have poles to aid in balance. Can someone give me "real life" info without the "hype"?
Another question I have is, why are there no reports of folks going over Fuller Ridge, is it an out of the way approach that most don't bother with in winter. I'd appreciate any photos , (current especially) of the P.C.T. to help me in making the right decision for my upcoming trip.
Thank You very much
User avatar
nobohobo
 
Posts: 69
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:01 am
Location: planet earth - photo was taken in dali city, yunnan province china 1987

Postby halhiker » Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:42 pm

Judging from the current snowpack the PCT should not be a problem the first week in May. Often the problem doing the PCT at that time is not ice but deep snow and postholing. However, we won't know for another month how it will be. It is late in the season but we still could get more snow between now and May.

As for Fuller Ridge, the road leading to Fuller Ridge is closed during the winter so access is tough. That's why no one goes there.
User avatar
halhiker
 
Posts: 1260
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:00 pm
Location: La Quinta, CA

thanks for info!

Postby markv » Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:26 am

I was just about to post basically the same question. There are a bunch of us wondering the same thing, as is probably the case each year. So thanks in advance for your patience, and ANY current updates or even guesses will be appreciated. I'll keep an eye on the board. But for now, planning on shipping the snow gear ahead to the Sierra.

markv
markv
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:02 am
Location: all over


Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 6 guests