by Perry » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:26 pm
There's a lot of snow coverage between 8,000 feet (end of traverse) and 8,400 feet (edge of Long Valley) and some coverage along the traverse starting at 7,800 feet. I had an adventure today and decided to take the last chute before Coffman's Crag, which has great snow coverage, but I think in spots it is steeper than the regular route, which has a mixture of boulders sticking out of the snow, so you would likely have to sharpen your crampons later with a file. Whatever you do, don't follow the footprints going straight up near the beginning of the traverse unless you like rock climbing. And crampons and ice axe are definitely needed unless you find some creative way to traverse left and go up that eastern slope to the desert view trail (I've never done it, not sure if that's a good idea). If we get a cold spell it may stay icy on the upper section, even in the afternoon. I noticed that it was more consolidated as I approached Long Valley. Lower down, I sunk up to my waist a couple times. Hope that helps.
"And he knows those computers better than anybody, all those computers, those vote-counting computers. And we ended up winning Pennsylvania like in a landslide, so, it was pretty good, it was pretty good, so thank you to Elon!"
-Donald Trump