cracked summit sign

General Palm Springs area.

Postby Perry » Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:40 pm

I was up there yesterday and noticed that as well. The nail for the top bolt does not extend very far and could be filed down or bent to make room for the socket. Although it can be done without unbolting, the bond will be much stronger if it includes the areas that are in direct contact. I would take a damp rag and wipe the front and back of the sign to increase humidity for curing. The lock ties need to be very tight on the ends to keep the parts pressed together.

Not sure when I'll be up there again. When it happens, it may be a surprise for everybody. Whoever fixes it, I would not recommend identifying yourself on this message board. :wink:
Perry
Site Admin

Postby Dan-oh » Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:09 pm

cactus2clouds wrote: Whoever fixes it, I would not recommend identifying yourself on this message board. :wink:

Ahh, just in case a state park employee takes issue with someone "tampering" with the sign.
Oh, BTW, there was some guy at the summit yesterday with tools looking at the sign. Dunno who it was though.

That's good, that's good! A nod's as good as a wink to a blind bat!
Dan-oh

SUMMIT SIGN

Postby Spook » Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:31 pm

It was still split when I was up there July 23.
Spook

Graffiti on summit sign

Postby Snowhiker » Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:23 pm

The graffiti on the back of the summit sign just proves that there are scumbags that make it to the peak.

What's with the irrational need to show everybody that you made it to the peak? It's NOT like you were the first to summit.

Sorry for the rant but these people piss me off.
Snowhiker

Re: Graffiti on summit sign

Postby Scrambleman » Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:18 pm

Snowhiker wrote:The graffiti on the back of the summit sign just proves that there are scumbags that make it to the peak.

What's with the irrational need to show everybody that you made it to the peak? It's NOT like you were the first to summit.

Sorry for the rant but these people piss me off.

It can't be any worse than the sign on top of Sugarloaf Pk over in the SB Mtns. That one is so carved up you can barely read "Sugarloaf" on it!
Scrambleman

San Jacinto Summit Sign

Postby Snowhiker » Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:05 am

Did the San Jacinto Summit Sign ever get fixed?
Snowhiker

Postby Perry » Sun Aug 13, 2006 4:40 pm

Funny. I didn't even check today while I was up there. I did some scrambling around on the north face to scope it out. It's not really that technical if you look around and pick good routes. Without snow, it's just a class 3/4 climb as long as you avoid any steep rock faces and make sure that every boulder you grab is a solid one and not going to roll back in your face. I've heard about the chalkstone lower down (class 5), but there's a class 3/4 route diversion around that.
Perry
Site Admin

Postby guest » Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:32 pm

Great that you guys are offering to fix the summit sign, I much perfer the natural look of wood myself.
I'm sure you've all thought of it, so make sure it's at least as tamer-proof as it was, or it will indeed land up on someones garage wall for bragging rights.

San Jacinto Summit Sign

Postby Snowhiker » Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:55 am

cactus2clouds wrote:Funny. I didn't even check today while I was up there.

Well, then what the hell good are you then!!! LOL. Kidding.
Snowhiker

Previous

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains