cracked summit sign

General Palm Springs area.

cracked summit sign

Postby Dan-oh » Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:56 pm

The SJ summit sign has been cracked the last couple of times we were up there -- last December and this May. If you tilt it correctly, the parts line up and it looks fine. It does need some repair, though.

Thanks to Rob Pollard for the image

So just who might repair the sign up top? Is it appropriate for me to repair it or should it be considered off-limits? I'll be heading to the summit Sunday and I'm considering taking a few repair parts, specifically some pre-drilled metal bar stock and screws. I'm sure that by screwing the stock into both edges of the sign, it will become one solid piece again.

Is this a "good deed" or is it mucking with something I shouldn't? Any chance the metal would be considered conductive and a bad idea?
Dan-oh

Postby robpollard » Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:45 pm

FYI, the sign is attached to an aluminum tube, so I would think that conductive metal isn't an issue. This is just my two cents, but I think a simple repair now would prevent the sign from really getting messed up. I don't know if the Forest Service sees it that way though. For informational purposes only, repair screws that go in from the back (as opposed to the sides = end grain) would hold better, two on each side of the split (min. eight screws total).
robpollard

Postby phydeux » Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:09 pm

Anyone interested in a metal sign at the top? Does anyone have decent sheet metal working ability? Maybe a boy scout needs an eagle project? If not, I could see what the cost is (I deal with quite a few metalworking shops), maybe contact the state parks office and see if its 'legit' to do this.

Only limitation: I know years ago they had problems with the post mounted summit signs being stolen, so any new sign might have to be bolted/epoxied to a rock face (similar to Mt. Baldy's might be a good idea). State parks might not be too warm to this idea, unless there's already some bolt holes at the top already.

I can't go up this weekend (World Cup finals . . you understand, don't you? once every four years?), but might go up July 15 or 16 and check it out. If anyone else is going up in the next few weeks give it alook too.
phydeux

Postby Dan-oh » Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:53 pm

Eh, busted image link on my first post. Rob's pic of the summit sign is here:
http://community.webshots.com/photo/551682171/2735886080082110892tveGoF

The sign itself appears to be 2x material (1 1/2 thick) mounted to a Trex/synthetic type "wood" post. Since we're discussing methods of repair and not the ethics of, it sounds OK by you so far.

Anyone else?
Dan-oh

Postby Perry » Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:21 pm

That sign has been busted for months. I'm guessing that the state park wants to fix it but they might be bogged down with bureaucracy and paperwork. They had to wait a very long time to install the new benches in Long Valley, and the new benches were stacked against the shed for several months.

To make the sign look exactly the same as before, here is one method: Un-bolt the top piece. Take an ever-so-slightly-damp rag and wipe between the two pieces. Wait for it to dry. Then apply a small film of polyurethane wood glue on both of the broken faces. Replace the top piece. Align the letters. Tie the two ends with lock ties and let the glue cure overnight. On Sunday evenings there is hardly anybody up there to mess with it. Then the next day or next week, somebody could cut the lock ties and peel away the polyurethane foam that oozes out of the crack...
Perry
Site Admin

Postby Dan-oh » Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:08 am

I like that solution. I have all of those materials and its the least amount of tools to carry. No WAY am I bring a cordless drill up there! I'll put a small note on the back for someone to remove the zip ties the next day or so.

Thanks the great idea.

Dan

cactus2clouds wrote:That sign has been busted for months. I'm guessing that the state park wants to fix it but they might be bogged down with bureaucracy and paperwork. They had to wait a very long time to install the new benches in Long Valley, and the new benches were stacked against the shed for several months.

To make the sign look exactly the same as before, here is one method: Un-bolt the top piece. Take an ever-so-slightly-damp rag and wipe between the two pieces. Wait for it to dry. Then apply a small film of polyurethane wood glue on both of the broken faces. Replace the top piece. Align the letters. Tie the two ends with lock ties and let the glue cure overnight. On Sunday evenings there is hardly anybody up there to mess with it. Then the next day or next week, somebody could cut the lock ties and peel away the polyurethane foam that oozes out of the crack...
Dan-oh

Postby Perry » Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:28 am

Awesome! Thanks Dan for doing this. I'm sure others will appreciate this as well.
Perry
Site Admin

Postby zippetydude » Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:29 pm

Yes, others will. Good job. Hopefully I'll see you on the trail one of these days and thank you in person. I admire action.

z
zippetydude

Postby Dan-oh » Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:44 am

The best laid plans...
I brought up tools, glue and clamping material to the summit Sunday intending to repair the cracked sign. In 2 seconds, I realized I brough the wrong tools. Dang!

When they built the sign, they recessed the 9/16" bolt to prevent tampering. No way was my open end wrench going to work.

To make it even more difficult, they've driven a 6d nail to jam the nut in place. Something I hadn't planned on either.
I should be back in a month but if anyone else is inclined, these are the required tools:

- 9/16" deep socket with ratchet
- two new 6d galvanized nails and some sort of a small hammer
- Gorilla glue
- wire ties for clamping
- large screw driver or pry bar to remove the 2 nails

Obviously its a little more involved that I originally thought but it shouldn't take more than 30 minutes to fix. It someone is planning on summiting
and repairing it sooner than I, check a few more pics at http://danoh.smugmug.com/gallery/871278/2
Dan-oh

Postby robpollard » Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:51 am

As your picture clearly shows, that post is NOT aluminum, as I said is was above. The funny thing is I remember clearly looking at the post and thinking "Oh look, that post is aluminum." Maybe I was on a different San Jacinto with a cracked summit sign.
robpollard

Next

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains