Chillin’ with Ellen on San Jacinto

General Palm Springs area.

Very happy you are home and safe.

Postby Snowhiker » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:48 pm

Very happy you are home and safe. :D

What an amazing story. WOW!

We all hope you have a full and speedy recovery.
Snowhiker

Postby Hikin_Jim » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:48 pm

Ranboze wrote:... I was inspired by the helpfulness of the boards, and impressed that representatitives of the RMRU scanned, or "reconned" the boards [to use your ingenous use of the word]. I have since sent my username and password to all the boards on which I participate to my ICE representatives. (emphasis added)

Now that is a really darned good idea.
Backpacking stove reviews and information:  Adventures In Stoving
Personal hiking blog: Hikin' Jim's Blog
Hikin_Jim

Re: Chillin’ with Ellen on San Jacinto

Postby NormaR » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:50 pm

I will never forget the sight of that beautiful helicopter circling directly above me.

I hope it's ok if i speak for everyone, to say that it pains us to hear that someone has been hurt or is missing doing what we love to do. A successful rescue or "happy ending" is what we all hope or pray for and sometimes participate in. I was so thankful to hear you were rescued.

Thank you for posting such a detailed TR, with so much valuable information to store and learn from. What an account of determination and survival!

I got a tear in my eye when I read the above quote in your story. I could feel your joy.

Take it easy during your recovery so you will be back gracing the trails soon... and maybe then i will have a chance to meet you on one.

Norma

p.s. to Ranboze, I am following your lead of giving the board links to my ICE family members. Great idea!
NormaR

Postby Ellen » Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:18 pm

Howdy All :D

I want to thank those individuals (including our own Grandmaster Perry and Halhiker) who came to my defense in several newspaper blogs. I respect the wilderness. I've specifically avoided Skyline since the recent storms. I made mistakes and have learned from them.

I've been surprised by the lack of accuracy in much of the media coverage. Some articles have indicated that I started hiking on Sunday :? I purposely hiked on Saturday as I knew the storm was coming in on Sunday.

I declined interviews because I was concerned about accuracy. Trust me, this is not the way to get publicity :oops:

By the way, does anyone want a pair of slighjtly used snowshoes :lol:

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Ellen

Postby Hikin_Jim » Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:37 pm

Ellen wrote:By the way, does anyone want a pair of slighjtly used snowshoes

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hikin_Jim

Chillin with Ellen on San Jacinto

Postby Cy Kaicener » Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:52 am

They should be worth something as a collectors item. I bet Ellen cant bear to look at them.
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
http://cys-hiking-adventures.blogspot.com
Cy Kaicener

Postby KathyW » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:00 am

Great report Ellen - that storm just howled while you were in the hut - it must have been a very difficult time - you are very strong to have been able to deal with the cold and the pain.

It's interesting that your snowshoes have aluminum crampons on them - I have a pair of Altas that have an aluminum frame to save weight, but the crampons are steel - they also have side-rails - they work great when conditions are right, but I carry them on my back more often than I wear them. Mine are a few years old, so I wonder if they've switched to aluminum crampons on some of the snowshoes to save weight.
KathyW

Postby Jim Bakos » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:01 am

What a tale Ellen!

I forwarded the link to this write-up to the rest of the team, I'm sure they will find it just as heart warming as I did -- Thank you for your kind words about RMRU.

--Jim
Jim Bakos

Postby Rob » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:16 am

Ellen wrote:I've been surprised by the lack of accuracy in much of the media coverage.

Ellen, you may have noticed that different media reported different numbers for your age.

I wonder if any vendors will contact Ellen to discuss possible product endorsements or sponsorships. Ellen mentioned many vendors in her story.
Rob

Postby Hikin_Jim » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:02 pm

Rob wrote:I wonder if any vendors will contact Ellen to discuss possible product endorsements or sponsorships. Ellen mentioned many vendors in her story.

Quite possibly, but not Atlas Snowshoes! :D
Hikin_Jim

PreviousNext

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains