c2c in July is becoming very popular

General Palm Springs area.

Postby zippetydude » Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:04 pm

Good idea with the Google Earth thing, I'll check it out when I get home.

As far as that being the distance halfway point, I think that's pretty close.

But be warned, that's not the psychological halfway point yet.

I usually get to Slick Rock, and think, "Hmm, I feel pretty good, maybe this isn't as hard as I remembered." Then, I start up.

About an hour later, I'm thinking, "I want to die. I knew better than to do this again. What am I doing here? I'm an idiot." Or something pretty close to that.

Well, not every time is that bad, but you get the idea. The last part is the steepest of all, has the thinnest air, and comes when your body is already pissed off about the first 6000 feet you made it climb.

But it's wonderful. And you feel great when you're done.

One of my favorite moments is just below the top, when you can see that you just have a couple of switchbacks left. Suddenly all that pain is gone, and I'm thinking, "Yeah, baby! Come to papa!"

No, I am not bipolar. That's just C2C.

Let's ask Cy, he's got a lot more experience on this trail than me. Cy, you have high points and low points too, or are you accustomed to the trail now and nothing phases you?

z
zippetydude

Postby Cy Kaicener » Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:08 am

There are two steep parts - The first 3000 feet and the last 2700 ft in two miles, after slickrock . The rest of the trail is almost flat in comparison.
I plan on taking almost eight hours getting up to the tram. I go slowly but I dont stop for more than ten minutes unless its for lunch. We go as fast as the slowest person. The last 2700 ft seems worse than it is because you are getting tired. I start feeling good only after I have reached the traverse at 7500 ft with only 1000 ft to go. Every time I do this I ask myself what am I doing to myself and why am I putting my body through this torture. Once its over, you feel this uphoria and great sense of accomplishment.
I have not seen the Google Earth programme yet. What is the url
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
http://cys-hiking-adventures.blogspot.com
Cy Kaicener

Postby marmot » Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:36 pm

im not sure where the fire is, but i know its around joshua tree and yucca valley, is it possible that the fire could spread in the san jacinto/palm spring area?
marmot

Postby zippetydude » Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:08 pm

I don't think so. It's actually on the other side of the 10 freeway over by Mission Creek now - several miles of flat desert away.

San Gorgonio, on the other hand, may be threatened, as Mission Creek leads right up to the PCT and the Fish Creek trail that goes up San G. If they can't stop it soon, fire moves very fast uphill, and of course even faster if there's even a slight breeze pushing it, much less a strong wind.

There's more posting about the fire on the SGWA bulletin board also, for anyone who wants to keep updated.

z
zippetydude

Postby marmot » Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:27 pm

thanks for the info zippetydude.

San Gorgonio?? thats not good.. :cry:
i'd hate for any forest or homes to get burned.
marmot

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:25 am

By the way, guys, the forecast is for 118 now, and the low right now is only forecast to be 89. At 1:00, it's supposed to be 93.

Just so you know.

Everybody still in?

z

Postby Cy Kaicener » Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:51 am

I will be there. I do not have the telephone numbers of the two guys that telephoned me, so I dont know if they will be there. If anyone has second thoughts I will understand. If no one is there by 1 am I will probably still go.
Its a dry heat :D There is no way I am getting up this early for nothing.
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
Cy Kaicener

Postby marmot » Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:50 pm

you can count me in!
marmot

Postby Perry » Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:58 pm

I'll probably see you guys somewhere on the peak trail. I'm doing the 22-mile loop tomorrow. Hopefully you guys are all meeting at the same trailhead...
Perry
Site Admin

c2c is becoming popular in July

Postby Cy Kaicener » Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:02 pm

The temperature was 88 degrees when Marmot and I left the museum at 1 am this morning. At the picnic tables and higher up we could see the fire in the San Bernadinos. After the picnic tables it started to cool off quite a bit. At the 5000 ft level I actually felt cold for half an hour. At 7300 feet Marmot accelerated and headed for the peak. I bailed at the tram station after 8 hours. There were no snakes on the trail. Down at the lower tram station Zippedydude caught up with me after 4 and a half hours - awesome
Now I can see why he uses zippedydude. It made my day to share a taxi with him back to our cars.
Cy Kaicener

PreviousNext

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains