c2c in July is becoming very popular

General Palm Springs area.

Postby Cy Kaicener » Tue Jul 04, 2006 10:55 am

Two guys named Carl and Tony have contacted me separately about doing c2c this week. I gave both of them this website address if they want to get together. Unfortunately I have arranged to do some other hikes this week, but will be taking some hikers up on July 15 starting at 1 am up to the tram and hopefully to the peak. The outdoorsclub.org is doing it at the end of July starting before midnight. Night/morning hiking is becoming very popular to beat the heat. Some other folk on this board have just done it. Who would have believed that previously no one did this hike in mid summer.
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
http://cys-hiking-adventures.blogspot.com
Cy Kaicener

Postby zippetydude » Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:28 pm

Hi Cy. I might be going up this weekend as well, though I wouldn't be leaving until probably around 5:00 a.m. Maybe I'll run into you guys on your way back down.

z
zippetydude

Postby Cy Kaicener » Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:26 am

Hi Zippedydude - I think you are going to wish that you would have started earlier.We will probably see you up there.
. Please visit my website at www.hiking4health.com for more information especially the Links.
Cy Kaicener

Im in!

Postby marmot » Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:44 am

Im in for the fifteenth Cy, see you at the trailhead at 1:00am.
marmot

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:37 am

Hey Marmot - maybe we'll have a chance to meet as well! Looking forward to it.

Cy, you may be right, but I'm trying to hit the bottom of the temperature curve. If I start at 5:00, it should be around 85.

If I'm up 2000 feet after 1 hour (thus losing 3 degrees per thousand feet or 6 degrees), the temp should drop to 79, as the temp is supposed to stay the same from 5:00 to 6:00.

Another 2000, roughly another 6 degrees, but the temp will be rising 2 degrees at that point, so I'm looking at 4 degrees lower total, or 75.

Next 2000, same story, so I'm at 71 degrees at Slick Rock. Should be around 69 at the top at 9:00 a.m.

If I go earlier or later, I run into higher temperatures, so I'm trying to hit the coolest possible time. It'll still be pretty warm at 1:00 - 90 degrees or above I believe. Hope you guys are hitting the coolest possible time as well.

By the way, scare away all the snakes for me if you will. As you probably have guessed, those things make me nervous.

z

Postby zippetydude » Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:39 am

By the way, that was me posting above. For some reason my computer quit logging me in automatically, so I keep showing up as Guest.

z
zippetydude

Postby Cy Kaicener » Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:46 am

Marmot - I am looking forward to hiking with you. I heard that the high in Palm Springs will be 114 this Ssaturday. It should be about 80 degrees when we start and drop one degree for every 250 feet we go up. We should be at Flatrock (6000 ft) before the sun starts warming up. I am expecting five people if everyone shows up.
Zippetydude - If the sun is very hot the snakes have enough sense to get out of the sun. I never had a problem last year when I was going up every other week.
Cy Kaicener

Skyline Trail

Postby marmot » Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:57 pm

okay, Cy, looking forward to it, hopefully i wont slow you guys down too much.

zippetydude, im looking forward to meeting you to. i was up on the skyline back in may, and i started around 5:00, but once the sun came out, it became mighty toasty, hard to hike in. by that time, i want to have atleast 5000 feet under my belt.
marmot

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:51 pm

Yeah, that sun does add something. Is there a rule of thumb about how many degrees the sun is equal to? Say, if it's 70 in the shade, what would it really feel like in the sun?

I'm also going to try out something new. It's one of those little Personal Mist System things. Now I too have PMS!

Har Har.

Anyway, I've found that they work great if there's a breeze - in still air they don't do so much, so I'm hoping for at least a little air motion.

In any case, if I go I'll probably meet up with you guys somewhere along the trail. Looking at time projections, I would guess it would be somewhere above Slick Rock but before Grub's Notch (Tram level). I haven't decided if I want to add the peak in - probably won't decide until I see how much the heat drains me.

z

Postby marmot » Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:34 pm

btw, when the skyline switchbacks down a small ways and then does a small gradual descent down to a small saddle, the saddle is about 50-100 feet lower than 5000 feet, would that be about halfway up to the tram? (where i stopped) how is the trip after that? are the miles flatter for a ways? and then steepens?

thanks

oh btw, Cy and zippetydude, have you seen cactus to clouds on google earth program? it is so clear, you could see the trail, clearly, all the way from the museum to the tram. i think i saw the slick rock that you were talking about on that program. its great.
marmot

Next

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains