This season's thunderstorms

General Palm Springs area.

This season's thunderstorms

Postby Dan-oh » Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:44 am

I saw some in the 10 day forecast for the area, as relaible as that is.
Have we had any yet or will the thundestorms start later in the summer?

Typically its the afternoons that can be dangerous on the/any summit.
Dan-oh

Postby phydeux » Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:21 pm

Uh, not sure if you're living in So Cal (with a moniker like "Dan-Oh", maybe Hawaii?), but there have been lots of t-storms in the last few weeks. They're usually more frequent in the late summer/fall, but can occur anytime. Keep an eye on the sky if you're hiking up high on any So Cal mountains at that time of day, since they can form very quickly.

And yes, they are more frequent in the late afternoon; hot desert air meeting the cooler coastal air, sometimes adding in the northern edge of a tropical storm passing NE from Mexico through AZ).
phydeux

Postby Dan-oh » Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:35 pm

Hawaii? I wish.

Nope, I'm down south in San Diego and we've had a few storms in the flat lands. I just hadn't read warnings of mountain thunderstorm like I did last year. Sounds like it time for them though.

Thanks.
Dan-oh

Postby TR4ABrad » Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:38 pm

I just got back from 2 days in the Wilderness including Tahquitz Peak. I got rained on Saturday afternoon near the Caramba Overlook around 2:15. I did not hear thunder or see any lightning. I watched the storm build all day.

Sunday morning I watched it build again but it dissipated before any rain was generated...I was HOT at Humber park when I got down the trail this afternoon!

Brad
TR4ABrad

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains