REI coming to Rancho Mirage.

General Palm Springs area.

Re: REI coming to Rancho Mirage.

Postby guest » Fri Jan 12, 2024 4:08 pm

Wow, that's good news, and about time. Ever since Halhiker closed his small shop many moons ago, there hasn't been much, (local bike & shoe shops carry a little gear), and the chain stores.
There's a lot of folks in the desert, (some seasonal), who will frequent this new store, (and it's cool it's still kind of a co-op), will even attract some high desert folks.
Wonder if it's going to be around the old Best Buy, or closer to the freeway somewhere, (like around the Costco).

Postby medbot » Fri Jan 12, 2024 4:21 pm

I'm really surprised it took them this long. Good question on the location. I'm not familiar with how Rancho Mirage city boundary borders I-10. You would think they would want to be reasonably close to the interstate to catch folks last minute needs on the way out of California.
medbot

Postby Florian » Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:40 am

It will be at The River. I think where the Borders book store used to be.
Florian

Postby guest » Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:21 pm

That is a nice building with lots of windows, not ideal parking, but usually plenty of it. Those coming from out of the area on the frwy will have a few miles on Bob Hope to reach it.
Better than what seems to have happened to many of the outdoor stores at Cabazon outlets, (I remember Patagonia, GoLite, North Face even, maybe Eddie Bower & Colombia are still there).
Glad to see Nomad Ventures is going well with 4 locations now. I remember a little place to get coffee and pastries at the form Boarder, (or was it Barnes & Noble there at The River?), would be cool if REI did the same.

Postby Ed » Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:29 am

About time. I have my doubts about the River complex location. Parking can be a problem, particularly around the old Borders store. I think a few minutes away in Palm Desert would have been better. Imagine all the winter visitors dropping by to browse after their morning Bump n Grind hike.
Ed

Return to Mt. San Jacinto & Santa Rosa Mountains